Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Booster Running for Unknown amount of time without main pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Booster Running for Unknown amount of time without main pump

I am an absentee pool maintainer. My Father-in-law owns a house 1.5 miles from me with the pool. He's not at all savvy about the pool - and we haven't closed yet. When it dropped below freezing I set the timer to ensure things were OK and then didn't get back for a couple of weeks - he assured me he set it back.

He did not quite do it right - but that's not the problem. The problem is that somehow the manual switch for the pool cleaner booster (Polaris see sig) was flipped on when I went over there the other day. The pump was running - no idea how long it had been this way - without the main pump. Father-in-law doesn't recall turning it on.

I felt the housing - it wasn't crazy hot. Nothing was leaking. I turned the main pump on and ran it about an hour - no leaks or problems noticed.

Thoughts on what might happen? Is this a big deal? I thought it was but maybe I have been overly concerned about making sure the booster got switched off before the main pump stopped.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Booster Running for Unknown amount of time without main

Usually what happens is that water gets sucked in the returns by the booster. Not a problem, but sometimes it will pull debris in, which then gets lodged in the little screen the polaris has. Just clean that out, and everything should be fine.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Usually what happens is that water gets sucked in the returns by the booster. Not a problem, but sometimes it will pull debris in, which then gets lodged in the little screen the polaris has. Just clean that out, and everything should be fine.
    Outstanding! I'm planning to try to finally close sometime in the few months just in time to open! LOL

Seriously I keep getting ready to and then something happens. This weekend I have an event to attend both days and just don't think I'm going to be able to tackle this until next weekend.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Biggest problem is with the shaft seal for me....they get hot and start leaking. I usually see this a few hours to a few weeks after the issue. This is a 1/2 hour fix with a $10 (ish) part, so no worries here, just watch for leak to develop.
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

5. Back To Top    #5

this has happened to me a few times ( they call it a "senior moment" ), but as noted, the booster will draw water from the return. My return & cleaner ports are both about 1' below the surface and the booster is 5' below the surface, so the lines are always full of water. Just as when the filter pump is on solo, the booster will also cause my 380 to creep along the bottom.
    15K gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool(58 year-old Anthony Bros.), 15'x30', depth 3-1/2'->8' . Hayward Ecostar pump. Hayward DE-3600 filter with Variflow 710XR50 1-1/2" valve. Polaris 380 cleaner & "the pool cleaner (suction)". Main-drain suction disconnected. New skimmer suction plumbing 2" PVC. Single return line 1" copper. Cleaner line 1-1/2" copper, re-plumbed in pump-house (PVC) for either suction or pressure. Hayward 3/4HP PB4 booster pump. Leslie's 260 BTU Coppertherm heater. All new suction interconnect plumbing 2". Return plumbing, filter-to-booster, 1-1/2". Single return to pool 1". All equipment located 2-1/2ft. above pool bottom level ( neg. 5ft. from surface ).