Pool cover bonding question

gtemkin

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Seattle, WA
Had an automatic pool cover installed when renovating pool. Pool cover was installed by a factory approved installer for my area. I watched as the installer connected braided bond wires which are sewn along each long edge of the cover by screwing them to the axle the cover winds onto. I believe the braided wires connect to a metal bar which I'm guessing is embedded in the front edge of the cover.

Afterwards, an electrician came to do finish wiring, and connected a bond wire of my bonding system to a couple of points on the framework of the cover mechanism.

After he left, I poked around with an ohmmeter and found there was no bonding to the aluminum track that runs along both sides of the pool. I bonded those no problem but then I came across a really perplexing bonding issue.

The main metal axle of the cover assembly showed no continuity to the framework. It's supported by plastic bearings on both ends ends and the motor connects to it with a plastic friction clutch. So from what I can tell, there's no way to bond the axle. It's definitely metal, about 15' long and within 5' of the pool edge which means it should be bonded. I can't be the first person to notice this so is it generally ignored, or since the equipment is UL listed, does that negate the need to bond mechanism specific components?

Seems like there should be a rotating metal contact to bond the axle. I imagine that would be quite expensive so is it ultimately up to the end user to come up with a fix?

Any comments are appreciated.

Gregg

The main shaft is not accessible during normal use however I now realize the the front metal bar that is at the leading edge of the cover is accessible to pool occupants - it sits on the water's surface - and since it it's not being bonded due to the shaft not being bonded, there's a problem. I'm calling the manufacturer tomorrow.

Gregg

Bama Rambler said:
If the cover edge actually contacts the water it's bonded by virtue of the water bond. I'd still contact the mfg and see what they have to say.

I guess I mis-stated things when I said the front bar sits on the water's surface, it's actually held a couple of inches above that surface at normal water level. That could change pretty quickly when one of our NW winter monsoons come through.

I'm not sure I see anything in the National Electric Code that says metal parts contacting the pool water don't need bonding using a wire connection. A metal ladder, for example, contacts the pool water but it's commonly depicted as being wire bonded in "how to bond" articles. The code seems pretty clear that any metal object larger than 4" in dimension within 5' of the water's edge shall be bonded - unless it's a double insulated.

Gregg

I think I just found the answer to my question.

When reading through the 2008 National Electric Code.

In section 680.26(A)(6) which defines bonding requirements, it states:

680.26(A)(6) Electrical Equipment. Metal parts of electrical equipment associated with the pool water circulating system, including pump motors and metal parts of equipment associated with pool covers, including electric motors shall be bonded.

Exception: Metal parts of listed equipment incorporating an approved system of double insulation shall not be bonded.

The exception is the key. The cover is UL listed and it does incorporate a double insulated motor; therefor metal parts shall not be bonded.

Gregg

...well, thought I had the answer but now I'm not sure the motor that came with the cover is double insulated. No markings or statement to that effect. Had a conversation with the local distributor which didn't induce confidence. Not sure what to do next.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.