New member needing advice before signing a contract

Dec 3, 2012
First off let me say hello since this is my first post. I have been reading this forum for the last few weeks but just joined and hope to learn alot from here. My wife and I have been talking with several local pool builders in the Columbia, SC area about installing a 16' x 32' vinyl liner pool. We have gotten quotes from the 3 companies that we are most interested in. Of the 3 companies, 2 of them install galvanized steel wall panels and 1 of them uses the Graphex Polymer wall panel.

We are wanting 5' of concrete decking around the pool on 3 sides and 8' on one end with cantilevered coping all around. The builder that uses the polymer wall system is a fairly new company that has only been installing inground pools for about 4 years whereas the other 2 builders that use steel panels have both been installing pools for much longer than that. We are going to install a SWG and the builder that we like (one of the two that uses steel panels) has quoted the Autopilot Digital Salt Water Chlorinator which, after much researching, seems to be one of the best, if not the best, salt system out right now. I like everything about what this builder offers and he has a good reputation but am just wondering if anyone has any opinions about steel vs polymer walls in SC. The area where my pool will be installed is at the top of a slight hill in my backyard which has excellent drainage and the soil is pretty sandy. Listed below is what this builder (Lanier Pools) has quoted to me:

16'x32' vinyl pool kit w/6' deep end (light, steps, etc.)
6' lazy lounge
cantilever decking w/3' of concrete decking (we will be paying $4.50/sq ft for extra concrete)
Polaris 380 w/booster pump
Autopilot Digital SWG
building permit
electrical & plumbing
removal of excess material
$22,200

This is slightly more that what the builder who uses the polymer walls is qouting (and less than what the other builder what uses steel panels qouted) but that builder uses the Intellichlor SWG which doesn't seem to be as favorable as the Autopilot and the Intellichlor cells cost more to replace down the road. In the back of my mind I am just wondering if I am going to regret using galvanized steel panels with a salt water system. Does anyone have any advice or opinions on the system that I am considering and on the choice between steel vs polymer? I have also read that cantilever decking is better supported by steel panels but I am not so sure about that either. If there is anything else that I need to be looking for or asking about please let me know now. Thanks in advance for any input.

StormH2Oguy

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Steel walled pools have been around a long time and there seems to be little difference in the performance of either steel or polymer. I would tend to go with the builder I liked, regardless of the choice between steel or polymer.

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :lol: Steel walled pools have been around a long time and there seems to be little difference in the performance of either steel or polymer. I would tend to go with the builder I liked, regardless of the choice between steel or polymer.

+1 :goodjob:

After debating this for over a week and calling both pool builders several times with different questions we have decided to go with the Graphex polymer wall system. His final pricing is as follows:

16' x 32' inground with polymer walls
27 mil liner
8' fiberglass steps
6' two seat cantilever lounge
Color logic LED light
Autopilot SWG & startup salt
1 hp Heyward super pump
Heyward 300# sand filter
2 timers
Polaris 280 w/booster pump
1 skimmer with 4 returns
Concrete equipment pad
100 amp panel installed at pump location
Cantilever coping
5' of 4" thick concrete decking on 3 sides and 8' along deep end
Removal of all excess material
Building permit

$22,700 for everything paid in 3 equal installments. First installment up front to order liner, second due upon installation of walls & delivery of liner, and final payment due upon completion and my satisfaction. This is the best payment schedule I have been offered. The last payment is large enough that the builder should be motivated to finish to my expectations.

I will be signing the contract and paying the deposit tomorrow. Any thoughts or suggestions at this point are welcome. He plans to start digging around January 21 so that gives me time to remove 2 large trees and take down some fence panels. I'll post pictures along the way. My boys can't wait for summer.

I think it is useful to have more than one suction source. I'm partial to having a main drain, alternately a pair of skimmers vs one would be useful. If you don't have a main drain are they installing the option where the skimmer has an intake below the water line in addition to the skimming inlet to protect the pump if the water level drops below the skimmer opening? I haven't seen it very often but it seems useful in situations where no main drain is installed.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.