Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hot Tub Leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

Hot Tub Leaking

My pool fills the hot tub and then overflows into the pool. So when the pump shuts down the hot tub level is full. In the 8 hours between pump cycles the hot tub seems to drain / leak 3 - 4 inches of water. This appears to have started about 6 weeks ago. Can't really tell if it leaking back thru the system into the pool or if I have a break in the line. I don't find any wet spots in the yard but most of the piping is below the pool deck so it could be leaking below concrete.

Any ideas what could be happening? Is there a check valve I should look for that may be clogged?
    18,500 gallons, Cartridge Filter, In Ground Plaster. Jandy CL460 Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW Texas (Midlothian)

Re: Hot Tub Leaking

Is your spa raised from the pool?

If the Spa drain is open even slightly the water will push through the system into the pool when the pumps are all off, so i would start with that.

Make sure your Spa Drain is fully closed and the valve isn't leaking if it is in fact closed.
    Midlothian, TX
    Pool built in August 2012, 17.2k gallons, IG Gunite/PebbleTec (Midnight Blue), 1k sq ft Washed Aggregate decking, Jandy Stealth 2HP Pump shared with Spa, Aqua-Pure Salt-Gen, Jandy 1.5hp wtr feat pump, Jandy CV580 Cart Filter, Jandy AE3000TR Heat Pump w Chiller, Polaris 280 with Booster, Dual Time Clocks with freeze protect feature, Jandy Pool (2) and Spa (1) Multi LEDs, 2 Skimmers, 4 Pool Returns, 6 Spa Jets, water features incl 3' sheer descents and spa spillway

Click Here For My Pool Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

If it's a raised spa there should be a check valve so that it doesn't drain back into the pool. It's common for them to leak back so I'd check it first.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

There should also be a check valve on the spa returns. If that is leaking then the water will flow backward through the spa return to the pool.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!