Resurrection

Dilliw

Jun 17, 2010
Hi all-

For the past six years I have been a pool owner and for the last three of those a BBB pool owner. That was one of the best things I ever did. Well we just moved and although the new house doesn't have a pool it comes with a 400gal Artic Spa. Good thing I knew where to come to!

The deal is the spa has been sitting unused for at leat 2 years. The cover is waterlogged and a new one is on order. There is some floating organic material (black algae?) and the level has evaporated to about 50%. I'm assuming there's all sorts of things growing in the plumbing as well.

So where to start on a spa that hasn't been maintained? Not really interested in heading to a store based on my pool experience. Should I just bring the water level up as high as I can go, shock the heck of it, then use some of the Spa Flush mentioned in the sticky? Sounds like at least step 1.

Thanks in advance.

George

chem geek said:
I'd get some Spa System Flush since there may be biofilms in the piping you'll want to remove. You add that before you drain/refill.

O.k. so since my first post....

There was standing water underneath the spa. Seeing that the breaker was tripped, and knowing that 220 and me don't get along, I called a spa repairman to tackle the first round. Both pumps were questionable due to corrosion, but we went for it anyway. He wet vac'd the water out and put in a seal re-build kit. Luckily the motors and the heater checked out, and after another $400 in electrical work to bring it up to code everything works. Everything, that is, except one questionable hose, a couple of dry rotted jets, and both bulbs being burned out. I decided to wait on the additional items as I had spent too much already, and he's going to come out on my first drain and finish up.

So now I'm ready to go! I've got a bottle of Spa Flush, a clean filter, and tomorrow I'll go over to Leslie's for some bromine. I'm thinking I'm going to shock with 3 cups of bleach before I use the flush then dump, clean and re-fill. Saturday will be the big day!

One last thing, one of the arms on the spa lift, the arms that hold the bar down to the cover when the cover is on, broke off. Is it hard to just find the top bar? I've got cable tie and some wire holding now, but I'd like to get it right.

Wish me luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.