Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question re cutting new solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Question re cutting new solar cover

I am replacing my solar cover and am planning to fit it differently this time, but wondered if any of you have tried this and if there were any problems. I was reading how to cut a solar cover on an Australian website and their instructions say to have a "lip" go up around the sides rather than cutting it to fit just to the edge. I like this idea because doing that will keep the leaves from falling into the pool over the edges of the cover. I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts anyone has on this.

Just about every Australian site that gives instructions says to leave an upturn on the sides. Here is an example:

http://www.abgal.com.au/how-to-install- ... anket.aspx

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question re cutting new solar cover

If you leave a lip the wind will blow the cover off the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Even if the upturn is below the coping?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by georgygirl
    Even if the upturn is below the coping?
    In my experience, yes. I left the cover curled up a little on my ladder last spring and it pulled it off.

The wind rolls the cover up and if it's high enough it can lift the cover.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm tempted to try it. I'm thinking at the ladder, the wind could get behind it. But if the upturn is flush on the tiles, it might not. I worry that mold or algae would grow on the tiles under it. Guess I'll test it...can always cut it back if it creates an issue.

I've had a problem with the wind getting under the portion that was cut away where the spa spills into the pool and folding the cover back. Trying to figure out a different way to handle that area.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a lip on mine and it hasn't blown off. With my last cover I let it sit flat, and too much water got on top of it. Leave a lip; if it blows around you can always cut it smaller.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Great! Thanks.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd start with leaving a lip because you'll still have extra material you can cut away if you find that its not working as planned, if you cut short the first time you can't go back.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

9. Back To Top    #9

Update:

I cut the cover with a lip around the pool and a flap going into each skimmer. I put drain grommets (so far 6) at strategic locations around the pool about 1 1/2' from the edge. I love it already. I cut it about five times now to be sure it fit correctly and I wasn't cutting too much off...and it's still in the process of flattening out. The pool is freeform, at it's widest it's 24' and at it's longest it's 40'. I ordered a 44' cover, but was sent a 40', so I'm going to have to piece the end and have found that heating it with a lighter works well to bond it together.

Went out this morning for another fitting/cutting and discovered skinny pink worms wiggling on the top. We've had several days of rain and they probably fell from from the trees. It was so simple to take the pool broom and sweep the top into the skimmer, since I cut a flap to go into the skimmer opening. In the past these little worms would have fallen over the sides of the cover into the pool.

I think the solar cover is finally also going to help me keep the pool clean.

I'm also installing a Rocky's EZ roller. Can't wait for summer!