Question re cutting new solar cover

georgygirl

Bronze Supporter
May 16, 2011
I am replacing my solar cover and am planning to fit it differently this time, but wondered if any of you have tried this and if there were any problems. I was reading how to cut a solar cover on an Australian website and their instructions say to have a "lip" go up around the sides rather than cutting it to fit just to the edge. I like this idea because doing that will keep the leaves from falling into the pool over the edges of the cover. I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts anyone has on this.

Just about every Australian site that gives instructions says to leave an upturn on the sides. Here is an example:

http://www.abgal.com.au/how-to-install- ... anket.aspx

Thanks.

georgygirl said:
Even if the upturn is below the coping?

In my experience, yes. I left the cover curled up a little on my ladder last spring and it pulled it off.

The wind rolls the cover up and if it's high enough it can lift the cover.

I'm tempted to try it. I'm thinking at the ladder, the wind could get behind it. But if the upturn is flush on the tiles, it might not. I worry that mold or algae would grow on the tiles under it. Guess I'll test it...can always cut it back if it creates an issue.

I've had a problem with the wind getting under the portion that was cut away where the spa spills into the pool and folding the cover back. Trying to figure out a different way to handle that area.

Update:

I cut the cover with a lip around the pool and a flap going into each skimmer. I put drain grommets (so far 6) at strategic locations around the pool about 1 1/2' from the edge. I love it already. I cut it about five times now to be sure it fit correctly and I wasn't cutting too much off...and it's still in the process of flattening out. The pool is freeform, at it's widest it's 24' and at it's longest it's 40'. I ordered a 44' cover, but was sent a 40', so I'm going to have to piece the end and have found that heating it with a lighter works well to bond it together.

Went out this morning for another fitting/cutting and discovered skinny pink worms wiggling on the top. We've had several days of rain and they probably fell from from the trees. It was so simple to take the pool broom and sweep the top into the skimmer, since I cut a flap to go into the skimmer opening. In the past these little worms would have fallen over the sides of the cover into the pool.

I think the solar cover is finally also going to help me keep the pool clean.

I'm also installing a Rocky's EZ roller. Can't wait for summer!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.