My Backyard Kitchen

pragmatic

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2011
Friendswood, TX
Hello everyone! I’m a new member from Southeast, TX.
I’ve been lurking for quite awhile and I’ve really enjoyed learning and reading all the posts; pool school is great ~ Thanks for sharing.
I’m nearing the end of my pool build project (landscaping, lighting & irrigation), but I wanted to step back and share my first phase and whole reason for the pool build.
I started with a covered patio and slab project about 5 years ago. It was a combination of DIY and contractors (as money allowed). I designed my patio with a kitchen in mind and figured I could have the kitchen island portion done for about $3K. Wow, was I surprised when I received the quotes; I had no idea quality drop-ins were so expensive, not to mention cost of the build (plumbing was the most). The kitchen idea went to the back-burner until I came across a store close-out cash deal. I ended up paying about $1000 for a Cal-Flame grill, dual-side burner, top-mount cooler w/bar sink and SS doors. Winner-winner chicken dinner!! Kitchen is back and I started research on building outdoor kitchens; metal frame / channel construction with masonry type base sheeting was definitely the way to go. I figured even I could do this ~ It’s Easy to cut (with an abrasive blade change on the chop saw), light and surprisingly stout. Once I determined Height, width & depth measurements, it went fairly fast from there. The boy and I were off to a great start (12YO at the time)!
Soon into the frame-out I decided to give up precious counter space and added a Texas size sink with garbage disposer and eventually plumbed for an on-demand electric water heater. Can’t have too many sinks right? I can say for sure that the full-size sink with hot water and disposer were the best mods I made.
I’m definitely not an expert or craftsman of any sort, so I did what I felt comfy with and contracted the rest. We spend most of our time outside and enjoy the kitchen year round. The pool was a must in our Texas heat! I've learned lots with these projects as I went and kept it fun.
Anyway, nice site and I’m sure I’ll be spending a bit more time here learning about my pool.
DSCI0251.jpg

DSCI0278.jpg

DSCI0250.jpg

DSC_2597.jpg

DSC_2616.jpg

DSC_2632.jpg

DSC_3090.jpg

DSC_3087.jpg

Done
DSC_6257.jpg

DSC_6259.jpg

DSC_9705.jpg

DSC_7543.jpg

I designed this kitchen to be used. Here’s proof :-D
Ribeye's
DSC_6244.jpg

DSC_6243.jpg

DSC_6405.jpg

Tuna Steaks
DSC_8194.jpg

Desert
DSC_8169.jpg

Rack-of-Ribeye vacuum sealed and ready! Not that I'm ashamed, but the pic of the steaks with the liquor bottles in the background; those bottles are not filled with booze. They are filled with olive oil and garlic cloves. I let them sit for a few weeks and give them out at Christmas. Excellent flavor for cooking, marinades and dipping bread!
DSC_9808.jpg

Pork
DSC_9868.jpg

DSC_9920.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Dave

Thanks for the kind words!
Melt In The Sun said:
Awesome! :goodjob:

Planning on starting one of these next year sometime. What's the grill/smoker in the background of the ice cream shot?
It's a homeade unit with an off-set firebox; wedding gift from my father in-law (he owned a metal fab shop). I tease my wife often about the focus of my true love :lol: That sucker is oil-field-stout, weighs about 500 lbs and has cooked many slabs of rib and briskets (my wife is not oil-field stout :wink: ). Took me a while to adjust to cooking with a gas-grill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is one good looking set up :whoot: I know that you will get many years of enjoyment as we do. We spend 90% of our time in our backyard and use the summer kitchen 3-5 nites per week :cheers: :cheers:

Isaac-1 said:
Just wondering where did you get the metal frame material?
Most of the Home Depot's and Lowe's carry them. Really inexpensive and easy to work with.
Brentr said:
That is one good looking set up :whoot: I know that you will get many years of enjoyment as we do. We spend 90% of our time in our backyard and use the summer kitchen 3-5 nites per week :cheers: :cheers:
:goodjob: We have really enjoyed it so far. Even with the rain, we can sit back and enjoy..it's nice way to enjoy outside and we've gotten closer to family and even the neighbors. Well worth the money time.

gumby6506 said:
Is that the Cal Flame G4 Grill? I think I have the same one waiting to get dropped into my kitchen. How do you like it?
Yep..that's the one. I really like it. Built oil-field stout; burners are some sort of cast brass and very impressive. I recently bought two-searing burners. They're also Cal-Flame brand and fit the G4's perfectly. Great for cooking thick steaks and inexpensive (on-line from Home Depot)
DSC_1497_zps841fb85e.jpg

mrodgers said:
Following your links in your signature. Now I'm drooling over the picture of the steaks and bottles. You've got over $500 worth of steaks sitting there at our prices here. Man, I wish I lived in Texas! YUM!!! LOL.
:-D Thanks Mike! I love to cook and it certainly helps to have good stock to start with. We cooked 100lbs of crawfish last Saturday..I think i have the recipe perfected! Where do you live?

pragmatic said:
mrodgers said:
Following your links in your signature. Now I'm drooling over the picture of the steaks and bottles. You've got over $500 worth of steaks sitting there at our prices here. Man, I wish I lived in Texas! YUM!!! LOL.
:-D Thanks Mike! I love to cook and it certainly helps to have good stock to start with. We cooked 100lbs of crawfish last Saturday..I think i have the recipe perfected! Where do you live?
I'm in Pennsylvania. I have good beef, but the cuts are in the hands of my father-in-law. He raises for our use. He is old school and has the steaks cut thin to maximize usage where I can't cook them correctly, but it is his beef that I am getting and not grocery store garbage, so not much I can do. My kids watch them being born, name them, feed them, pet them, then sit at the dinner table asking, "Is this Buttercup? I just LOVE Buttercup!" as they plow into their hamburgers, LOL.

I get good thick ribeyes, but everything else he has cut at about a half inch. I don't even have time to get them all on the grill. By the time I'm slapping the 4th steak down, the first ones are over cooked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.