Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Backyard Kitchen

1. Back To Top    #1

My Backyard Kitchen

Hello everyone! Im a new member from Southeast, TX.
    Ive been lurking for quite awhile and Ive really enjoyed learning and reading all the posts; pool school is great ~ Thanks for sharing.
    Im nearing the end of my pool build project (landscaping, lighting & irrigation), but I wanted to step back and share my first phase and whole reason for the pool build.
    I started with a covered patio and slab project about 5 years ago. It was a combination of DIY and contractors (as money allowed). I designed my patio with a kitchen in mind and figured I could have the kitchen island portion done for about $3K. Wow, was I surprised when I received the quotes; I had no idea quality drop-ins were so expensive, not to mention cost of the build (plumbing was the most). The kitchen idea went to the back-burner until I came across a store close-out cash deal. I ended up paying about $1000 for a Cal-Flame grill, dual-side burner, top-mount cooler w/bar sink and SS doors. Winner-winner chicken dinner!! Kitchen is back and I started research on building outdoor kitchens; metal frame / channel construction with masonry type base sheeting was definitely the way to go. I figured even I could do this ~ Its Easy to cut (with an abrasive blade change on the chop saw), light and surprisingly stout. Once I determined Height, width & depth measurements, it went fairly fast from there. The boy and I were off to a great start (12YO at the time)!
    Soon into the frame-out I decided to give up precious counter space and added a Texas size sink with garbage disposer and eventually plumbed for an on-demand electric water heater. Cant have too many sinks right? I can say for sure that the full-size sink with hot water and disposer were the best mods I made.
    Im definitely not an expert or craftsman of any sort, so I did what I felt comfy with and contracted the rest. We spend most of our time outside and enjoy the kitchen year round. The pool was a must in our Texas heat! I've learned lots with these projects as I went and kept it fun.
    Anyway, nice site and Im sure Ill be spending a bit more time here learning about my pool.

Done

I designed this kitchen to be used. Heres proof
    Ribeye's

Tuna Steaks

Desert

Rack-of-Ribeye vacuum sealed and ready! Not that I'm ashamed, but the pic of the steaks with the liquor bottles in the background; those bottles are not filled with booze. They are filled with olive oil and garlic cloves. I let them sit for a few weeks and give them out at Christmas. Excellent flavor for cooking, marinades and dipping bread!

Pork

Thanks for looking!
    Dave
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My Backyard Kitchen

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow ... I should not have looked at this before lunch ... makes it not as appealing given how great all that food looks!!!

Nice work all around
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Awesome!

Planning on starting one of these next year sometime. What's the grill/smoker in the background of the ice cream shot?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Forget the test kit, I need a fork and bib :>) Nice work on the kitchen and the food!
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the kind words!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Awesome!

Planning on starting one of these next year sometime. What's the grill/smoker in the background of the ice cream shot?
    It's a homeade unit with an off-set firebox; wedding gift from my father in-law (he owned a metal fab shop). I tease my wife often about the focus of my true love That sucker is oil-field-stout, weighs about 500 lbs and has cooked many slabs of rib and briskets (my wife is not oil-field stout ). Took me a while to adjust to cooking with a gas-grill.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I didn't get the invite.

I am soooooooooooo hungry now!

8. Back To Top    #8

That looks terrific! and to paraphrase W. C. Fields - "I always cook with JD, sometimes I even add it to the food."
    Mike W
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

9. Back To Top    #9

Gorgeous, nicely done!
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

10. Back To Top    #10

Very nice - I'd never leave home with a backyard like that!
    18x33 AGP, 17,300 gal, Hayward Sand Filter, 1.5 HP 2 Speed Hayward Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks everyone! We certainly get extensive use out of the backyard. This will be the first summer with the pool....glad I like cooking large! come join us

12. Back To Top    #12

That is one good looking set up I know that you will get many years of enjoyment as we do. We spend 90% of our time in our backyard and use the summer kitchen 3-5 nites per week
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

13. Back To Top    #13

Just wondering where did you get the metal frame material?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    Just wondering where did you get the metal frame material?
    Most of the Home Depot's and Lowe's carry them. Really inexpensive and easy to work with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brentr
    That is one good looking set up I know that you will get many years of enjoyment as we do. We spend 90% of our time in our backyard and use the summer kitchen 3-5 nites per week
    We have really enjoyed it so far. Even with the rain, we can sit back and enjoy..it's nice way to enjoy outside and we've gotten closer to family and even the neighbors. Well worth the money time.

15. Back To Top    #15

Is that the Cal Flame G4 Grill? I think I have the same one waiting to get dropped into my kitchen. How do you like it?
    21000 Gal 36x18 IG saltwater pool with swim-up bar, grotto, and hot tub time machine. 3 Pentair Intelliflo VS pumps, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 520, Intellichlor SWG, Pentair 400k BTU Mastertemp Heater, Pentair Easytouch 8 with remote, 4 Pentair Laminars, Pentair Intellibrite and 4 globrites. Party on Wayne!!!! Pool is OPEN!!! GO SUN DEVILS!!!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by gumby6506
    Is that the Cal Flame G4 Grill? I think I have the same one waiting to get dropped into my kitchen. How do you like it?
    Yep..that's the one. I really like it. Built oil-field stout; burners are some sort of cast brass and very impressive. I recently bought two-searing burners. They're also Cal-Flame brand and fit the G4's perfectly. Great for cooking thick steaks and inexpensive (on-line from Home Depot)

17. Back To Top    #17

NW PA, halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie in the PA snowbelt

Following your links in your signature. Now I'm drooling over the picture of the steaks and bottles. You've got over $500 worth of steaks sitting there at our prices here. Man, I wish I lived in Texas! YUM!!! LOL.
    Mike

22' round Intex UltraFrame pool, Intex 633T 2500gph paper cartridge filter/pump
    with broken Intex SWG, using bleach this year
    TF-100 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by mrodgers
    Following your links in your signature. Now I'm drooling over the picture of the steaks and bottles. You've got over $500 worth of steaks sitting there at our prices here. Man, I wish I lived in Texas! YUM!!! LOL.
    Thanks Mike! I love to cook and it certainly helps to have good stock to start with. We cooked 100lbs of crawfish last Saturday..I think i have the recipe perfected! Where do you live?

19. Back To Top    #19

Awesome!
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

20. Back To Top    #20

NW PA, halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie in the PA snowbelt

Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic
    Quote Originally Posted by mrodgers
    Thanks Mike! I love to cook and it certainly helps to have good stock to start with. We cooked 100lbs of crawfish last Saturday..I think i have the recipe perfected! Where do you live?
    I'm in Pennsylvania. I have good beef, but the cuts are in the hands of my father-in-law. He raises for our use. He is old school and has the steaks cut thin to maximize usage where I can't cook them correctly, but it is his beef that I am getting and not grocery store garbage, so not much I can do. My kids watch them being born, name them, feed them, pet them, then sit at the dinner table asking, "Is this Buttercup? I just LOVE Buttercup!" as they plow into their hamburgers, LOL.

I get good thick ribeyes, but everything else he has cut at about a half inch. I don't even have time to get them all on the grill. By the time I'm slapping the 4th steak down, the first ones are over cooked.
    Mike

22' round Intex UltraFrame pool, Intex 633T 2500gph paper cartridge filter/pump
    with broken Intex SWG, using bleach this year
    TF-100 test kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast