Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: FC Levels

  1. Back To Top    #1
    bxcrwlly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    106

    FC Levels

    I've read in this forum that a salt pool with a CYA of 70 should have a target FC level of 5. Everything I've read about chlorine levels indicates anything above an FC of 3 poses a health risk. Can someone please comment or advise?
    11,600 gallon plaster salt pool & spa, IC20 SWG, IntelliPH, cartridge filter, 2.7HP IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Gas Heater, Easy Touch System w/remote, 8 roof mounted solar panels

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,347

    Re: FC Levels

    There are lots of posts here about that very issue. Surmize it to say that the 3 ppm recommendation doesn't take into account the effect of adding CYA to the water. In fact the industry still doesn't recognize the FC/CYA relationship.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  4. Back To Top    #4
    UnderWaterVanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,589

    Re: FC Levels

    Quote Originally Posted by bxcrwlly
    I've read in this forum that a salt pool with a CYA of 70 should have a target FC level of 5. Everything I've read about chlorine levels indicates anything above an FC of 3 poses a health risk. Can someone please comment or advise?
    Just to add a minor note to this:

    My water routinely is between FC 5-8. My CYA is around 45-55 depending on how I read the test. I had one kid who was a friend of my daughter's ask me how I kept the pool so clean without chlorine. He thought he was swimming in fresh water.

    Our tap water has a much stronger smell of chlorine than the pool. Which is pretty much rational - since the tap water active chlorine levels are higher than the pool. The tap water has 1.5-3ppm depending on when and where I measure it - but zero CYA. The pool is consistently at 5ppm or higher. There's a chart around here that shows the actual "active" chlorine levels in various CYA/FC concentrations - and if I recall correctly the 5ppm+ I have is more like 0.1ppm active. The 1.5-3ppm tap water is much much higher than that.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

  5. Back To Top    #5
    y_not's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Redmond, OR
    Posts
    1,086

    Re: FC Levels

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    Just to add a minor note to this:

    My water routinely is between FC 5-8. My CYA is around 45-55 depending on how I read the test. I had one kid who was a friend of my daughter's ask me how I kept the pool so clean without chlorine. He thought he was swimming in fresh water.
    That is just TOTALLY AWESOME!!!
    Yay for TFP

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    Our tap water has a much stronger smell of chlorine than the pool. Which is pretty much rational - since the tap water active chlorine levels are higher than the pool. The tap water has 1.5-3ppm depending on when and where I measure it - but zero CYA. The pool is consistently at 5ppm or higher. There's a chart around here that shows the actual "active" chlorine levels in various CYA/FC concentrations - and if I recall correctly the 5ppm+ I have is more like 0.1ppm active. The 1.5-3ppm tap water is much much higher than that.
    Yup, it's all about the sequestering properties of the CYA. It's certainly a beautiful thing!!
    The chart you're referring to is in the link that Richard320 provided.
    ChemGeek's HOCl to CYA Chart

    UWV, at an FC of 5 or 10ppm at a CYA of 50ppm. Your active Hypochlorous Acid (HOCl) would be 0.043 & 0.102 ppm of active, pure CL2. So you're somewhere in the middle.
    Can you imagine maintaining that with no CYA? WOW!
    You'd have to live by the pool. HAHA
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    12,082

    Re: FC Levels

    Also see this post which has links to some FC limits for commercial/public pools in different states that vary from 3 (Massachusetts) to 10 (Florida). The EPA limit for drinking water is 4, but that doesn't have any CYA. The state limits are higher mostly because of outdoor pools that use CYA, though the states don't regulate for an active chlorine level. If they did, then they'd be regulating for a minimum and maximum FC/CYA ratio since that's an approximation proportional to the active chlorine level.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •