Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I add a tanning ledge to a vinyl pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I add a tanning ledge to a vinyl pool?

Hi! I'm looking at pool designs and was wondering if a tanning ledge can be added to a vinyl pool. I haven't seen any pics or know what direction to look in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can I add a tanning ledge to a vinyl pool?

The answer is, given enough money, almost everything is possible.

The reality is it is VERY difficult and pricey to alter the interior structure and surface of any pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    The answer is, given enough money, almost everything is possible.
    I like that answer, I use that too with my customers.

When you say it's "Expensive" to alter the interior structure of any pool. Are you simply referring to a retrofit of an existing pool? Or are you also referring to building one from scratch and designing said modification(s) into the plans and build?
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear enough. I'm looking to build a pool from scratch. The guy we are talking to does vinyl pools only. I've been try to explain what a tanning ledge is to him and he is not familiar with them. I was just wondering if tanning ledges were only for gunite pools or if they can be built in to the design of a vinyl pool.
    Thanks! And sorry for the confusion.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would guess that anything is possible. After all, they are able to have vinyl with the fiberglass coves and steps outside the pool walls. I would think it would be the same (if anyone makes them) to have a larger, very shallow "cove".

That said, I recall reading a few posts about people with tanning ledges that wished they did not have them and instead had more room in the pool. Kids will not be on the ledge for long and floating on a chair in the pool gives the same tanning ability. Also I imagine that keeping the ledge clean could be work as well since most cleaners will not get on them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Both very good points jblizzle! Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I have customers with a concret/plaster tanning ledge and the rest of the pool is vinyl.

8. Back To Top    #8

Here are some good vinyl line pool tanning ledges... Love this website

http://www.houzz.com/photos/675346/T...ool-louisville
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/675047/F...ool-louisville
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/101148/M...l-pool-chicago

Take a look as there are quite a few vinyl pools with tanning ledges!!
    Purposed new pool at home being built- 20x40 vinyl pool, 20ft vinyl covered steps, Automatic cover, 6 ft sheer decent, 4 lighted deck jets, lime stone coping, easy touch, heat pump, SPA- 8x8 fiberglass shell, limestone steps surrounding
    previous home- 16 x 32 IG Vinyl- Install- Mid June 2011. 3ft Shallow 8ft Deep/ Totally Hayward 1HP pump/ 250 pound Sand/ AquaPro800 Heat pump/ Blue Hampton Liner/ 2 Intellibrite LED Lights/ Polaris 360/ 4 Deckjet II's/ 3ft concrete Apron/ 800 sq ft Paver Patio