Levolor Sensor Problem

Shieldsfx

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2009
Media, PA
I have a levelor automatic water fill (see picture). The sensor is installed in the skimmer (as shown in picture). The problem is that the sensor only lasts about 2 years; I've replaced it two times in 4 years! Now it's gone bad again. It's a real pain to replace because it has to be fished entirely through the conduit (which has a lot of twists and turns). I'm told the sensor can't be spliced in... it has to be completely rewired. Has anyone else had a problem with these sensors? Is there another sensor unit worth replacing to get more years out of this sensor... The Levelor unit itself and the solenoid turn-on/off have worked fine, though. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture6.JPG
    Capture6.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Capture5.JPG
    Capture5.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 135
Re: Levelor Sensor Problem

I can't imagine why the wiring couldn't be spliced, unless it's a coaxial cable or such. I see that you can order a half moon sensor with no wire on it. That tells me that the wires can have a secondary connection.

Re: Levelor Sensor Problem

Jandy explicitly say "do not splice". Surfing the net I found someone who said they spliced and used heat shrink wrap. Jandy also say that the sensor should not be submerged in water. I find this a very odd warning because you would not normally submerge (or it would keep filing) and it is sitting in a pool!! :hammer:

I think the answer to this problem is this: jandy did not properly manufacture the sensor and if water happens to splash or rise a little high on the tiny sensor it shorts it out. This will be my fourth sensor in 5 years and they each cost about 80 bucks. Remind you of Gillette?

As for install advice, you use the half moon sensor for the skimmer install and the plug sensor for the static pipe install. My take is the static pipe install is better for maintaining the sensor but a more costly install; whereas the skimmer install (as I have shown above) is a cheaper install but hard as heck to refish a 50 to 100 foot wired sensor! Pick your poison but jandy need to make a sensor that lasts more than about 1 year and recognize that the darn thing is sitting in a pool (regarding their warning not to submerge it or get it wet). Silly. Otherwise it's a good unit.

By the way, jandy manual online provides good details on install methods I reference above.

I'm off the replace the sensor again....

I haven't pesonally torn one apart but I suspect that it uses capacitance technology and if you splice the wires you change the capacitance of them. The reason for the warning about splicing the wires is if you don't get the same quality splice on both wires you can get a false indication of the level.

The reason for not submerging the sensor is that it's not completely impervious to water intrusion and if left submerged it will get saturated and give false a indication. Yeah, they should seal the unit better but it costs more to do that and as long as you'll keep buying sensors, why would they want to? :(

I bet if you tear one of the sensors apart there's nothing more than a pair of probes with the wires soldered to them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.