Pool - Spa heater question, please help!

Nov 1, 2012
I have an approx. 7 year old Raypak gas heater, came with the house we purchased recently. It was firing intermittantly so we called the home warranty people. A contractor came out mid-day and replaced I believe the ignitor assembly. Of course when he showed up and fired the heater up, it started. It did however start even quicker with the new ignitor. I have still been having problems at night when we are most likely to use the heater for the spa. In Houston, it's still warm during the day, and a little damper and chillier at night. Without fail, every day the last week or so I test it in the day time and it starts. At night...it just says SPK never ignites.

I guess I'll call the home warranty people again, but it's $60 every time out of my pocket. I imagine that something about the warmer, less damp daytime allows for easier igniting. Has anyone experienced the same symptom, and have a fix?

Also, occassionally the spa blower turns on for no reason. I have one of those Len Gordon style air buttons. I have pulled it out as some times it doesn't work at all and I have to manually blow into the tube. Think it's a button issue or switch issue?

Thanks, really appreciate any info!

I'd check the wiring to the ignitor. If it's a little worn and touching a metal part, it'll stop the unit from igniting. You can also take a hair dryer and gently dry the board and ignitor one night when it refuses to start and see if that helps. If it does, you have a moisture issue. It may be a loose or weak part on the board.

My guess is that the board and the ignitor were/are the issues. As for the blower motor going on by itself, I would guess water in the line or your plunger button.

BTW, if it's the same problem with the heater as before when you called the warranty company, they shouldn't charge you another fee as it obviously wasn't completely fixed the first time.

Thanks. So where is, or how do I access, the board? What am I looking for that would cause moisture to affect the starting function?

Unfortunately the warranty company said I was just over 30 day period that they warrant the previous 'fix'. I should have called sooner I guess, but I had the pool pump down for over a week waiting for a new filter valve to arrive, and I guess I just didn't have the heater issue on my mind. Oh the joys of pool ownership!

The board is behind the panel that the on/off switch is on. Take the front door off and then you will see two phillips head screws on each side, remove them and pull the panel down and you will see the board.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.