Pool Green in Winter

Meat

Dec 4, 2012
Hi...

This is the first year I have had my pool and I am not winterizing it as I am in Georgia. I was out of town for 2 weeks and my pool has a slight green tint. I am sure algae is growing, but am unsure of whether I should shock it now and get rid if the algae or deal with it in the spring?

I cleaned all my filters yesterday and add chlorine tabs to my Nature2O canister. My gut tells me to kill it now or I will have bigger issues come spring, not to mention it is ugly right now as well.

Here are my test results:

Hardness 100-250
TC 2
FC 1
pH 7.5
TA 180
CYA 0

Obviously my CYA is low, but everything else looks okay...

Any help is appreciated.

How did you get your test results? Having zero CYA is very suspect if you have been using a tablet feeder.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

If it were mine, I'd get rid of the algae now. The FC won't burn off from the sun as quickly as it would in the summertime, making your doses more effective. But I'm with Jason, why do you have no CYA if you are using tablets?

Does your Nature2 include the mineral pack (which TFP highly recommends NOT be used)?

Are the sides of the pool green or the water? Is the water cloudy and green or clear and green?

When I got back all of my chlorine tablets were gone... Not sure how long they were out, but that may be why my CYA was zero. I am using a basic AquaCheck Select dip stick for testing.

My walls are not green, just the water and it's pretty clear... I can see the bottom no problem in the deep end.

I have not used a mineral pack.

CYA does not go away unless you remove and replace water ... so that means your test strips are bad ... and not very accurate anyway.

Your best path forward would be to order one of the recommended test kits and then post a full set of results when it comes in. There is no way to give you accurate advise on a next step without accurate test results.

Clear (completely clear) green water sometimes indicates high levels of metal in the water, but since you say you are not using the mineral packs, that may not be the problem.

While waiting for your test kit, read through the articles in Pool School (button at upper right). That will teach you about the pool's chemistry and why we generally do not recommend the long term use of tablets.

Feel free to ask any questions that come up.

Hi,

The only thing that was used was the Nature2 Fusion start up cartridge. Could that have minerals in it?

I really dont think it's algae as when I brush the pool there is no film/dust/dirt/algae that gets displaced. And the water is clear.

I have not put any mineral cartridges in, only chlorine tabs. I am going to order a real test kit.

Also, dont think it matters, but my Ozonator has not been hooked up yet either. It came in late and I figured I would just wait until the spring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.