I have just bought a house in Sydney with a salt pool and have been reading posts in the site to get an understanding of how I need to revive and maintain the pool.
I started doing some quick test strips while I am waiting for my TF100 kit to arrive in the next couple of days.
I have a couple of problems at the moment but feel I am flying blind a little without a test more accurate than the sticks. My problems as I see them are:
1. pH was off the charts 8.2+ ( have been adding muriatic acid to reduce)
2. TA was off the charts 240+ (I will keep the acid up to keep the pH at 7.0 and have a pond fountain aerating at the moment). Need that test kit.
3. The pool is turning green. I imagine I will have to slug it with chlorine soon enough.
My two questions are:
1. What should I fix first, the TA/ pH issue or kill off the algae with Liquid chlorine?
2. I was reading in pool school that the salt level should normally be kept at 3000-3200ppm yet I read the SWG manual (Watermaid QT300) and it says that the ideal level is 6000ppm. This seems quite a bit above. What level should I target?