Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muratic acid safety

1. Back To Top    #1

Muratic acid safety

Is there somewhere in pool school that explains safe use of muratic acid? If not, could you give me some safety tips.
    36 x 18 oval pool, inground, plaster pool.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muratic acid safety

Wear goggles, pour slowly near a return to avoid sloshing, and try not to breathe the fumes.

I'll also mention I recommend against storing opened bottles indoors, as the fumes can be corrosive.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Always pour the acid into water and never the water into acid. I usually mix the acid into 2-3 gal of water before pouring it into the pool.
    20' x 38' x 40' Lagoon, 38K Gal, Vinyl, Aqua Plus control, SuperFlow 2 hp pump, 3.7 sqft sand filter, T-15 SWG
    2 ColorLogic 4.0 LED lights, Polaris 280, TF-100 test kit, Finished in September 2012
    Master Spas Twilight 8.2

4. Back To Top    #4

BTW, I don't wear goggles. I wear my full-coverage sunglasses and turn my head - and sometimes I cough.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

stand up wind when opening and pouring the acid.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Don't store acid and any chlorine products in the same area.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    Wear goggles, pour slowly near a return to avoid sloshing, and try not to breathe the fumes.

I'll also mention I recommend against storing opened bottles indoors, as the fumes can be corrosive.
    Good advice...especially regarding storage. Muriatic acid bottles are vented and the fumes will attack metal and other substances. I've found that storing the bottles in one of those Rubbermaid Storage benches by itself works well.

8. Back To Top    #8

I wear a face mask too, it's not a chemical one but a good quality 3M mask /w an exhale valve. Disposable type. It doesn't entirely block, but reduces and helps slow down the entry of the gasses to my nose & mouth. I'm really sensitive to it, it literally stings my throat and sinuses and burns my eyes. Just the vapors of course.
    I also wear sunglasses.

Another trick, don't slosh or shake in any way, as little as possible, the MA jug before you open it. Otherwise you'll get a big ol' rush of vapors. Also when pouring, hold the back end of the jug, since it's heavy when full and pour slowly. Don't chug, or slosh, as this exacerbates the vapor problem.
    I use a glass measuring cup for this. But my pool is much smaller than ya'lls.

Pouring into a bucket with water in it already, sounds like a great idea. Thus diluting it down before you pour it into the pool.
    Good one! If I had a BIG pool I'd already be doing that.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm not a proponent for using the bucket and handling it twice. Stand up wind and pour in.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    I'm not a proponent for using the bucket and handling it twice. Stand up wind and pour in.
    I agree. Lower the bottle into the water so you are only pouring a few inches and handing the acid once.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

I also prefer to handle the acid only once, so I don't pour the acid into a measuring cup and then into the pool, I just pour into the pool and guesstimate.

Seems like everyone agrees eye protection is mandatory; how does everyone feel about gloves? When I open a new bottle, I always wear disposable nitrile gloves because it takes some fiddling around to get that white paper thing off. But, if the bottle has already been opened, I don't bother with the gloves because I figure I could quickly dip my hands in the pool if necessary. What does everyone think?

Thanks,
    Don C.
    16K gal IG 16'x28' pebble since 2011; Pentair Easytouch; Sta-Rite Intellipro VS pump; Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge (System 3); 6 Heliocol Solar Panels; Aquamatic Cover; Legend pressure-side cleaner with Hayward booster pump; TF100 Test Kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

I don't wear gloves. I also guesstimate ... a few ounces here or there aren't going to make much difference in my pool!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    I don't wear gloves. I also guesstimate ... a few ounces here or there aren't going to make much difference in my pool!
    I'm pretty horrid at guesstimating such things. Not on an ounce level, probably because I'm such a precise person and don't trust my judgement. Doing, say 3/4 of a gallon, sure. But even then the neck makes it misleading. So I'd be inclined to measure an old jug to see where 1/2, 1/3 & maybe 1/4 are. As it's not going to be linear in relation to the height of the jug.

I don't bother /w gloves, not even for taking the cap off as mine have always come off really easy. But I could see if there's a fight, yeah, go for the gloves.
    BTW, acid will completely dissolve nitrile/latex gloves in a fraction of a second. You have to use acid resistant material.
    I have a pair of to the shoulder rubber coated canvas gloves for that. Don't ask. HAHA

This brings me to a quandary. I have seen many posts on here where the PB or an employee, added acid to the pool /w the pump running.
    But caused some plaster etching/bleaching in the end.
    I'm thinking this was because the PB "walked around the pool" while pouring. Which I'd think would be a no-no. Since you wouldn't want to pour it into the shallow end, as it'll hit the bottom before it has a chance to mix and dilute down.

So is pouring it in front of an active return, in the deep end at full strength safe enough? Or do you really "HAVE TO" brush right away?
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

14. Back To Top    #14

If you poured VERY slowly in front of a return flow and aimed well, then you might thoroughly mix the acid with the water, but generally speaking it's a good idea to brush the pool surfaces in the area where you added the acid. At one point, I got lazy about brushing after acid addition in my own pool and I can see some pitting of plaster in the general area where I added the acid.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by y_not
    BTW, acid will completely dissolve nitrile/latex gloves in a fraction of a second. You have to use acid resistant material.
    Good point. I googled it and found this http://amo-csd.lbl.gov/downloads/Che...f%20Gloves.pdf where it says nitrile is okay for "incidental" contact with hydrochloric acid but neoprene or butyl rubber would be preferred for longer term contact. Since I need some dexterity to get that white paper thing off I think I'll stick with nitrile gloves, but I have wondered about that.

Thanks,
    Don C.
    16K gal IG 16'x28' pebble since 2011; Pentair Easytouch; Sta-Rite Intellipro VS pump; Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge (System 3); 6 Heliocol Solar Panels; Aquamatic Cover; Legend pressure-side cleaner with Hayward booster pump; TF100 Test Kit.

16. Back To Top    #16

I wear goggles and do like others have suggested - "float" the bottle so the mouth is close to (but always above) the water and slowly estimate the goal amount. I always be sure I am able to fully concentrate on the task, including closing it back up and properly storing it. No multi-tasking on this one. And leave adequate (1/2 hour??) time between chlorine and acid additions and, as others have said, never store them near each other. Oh yeah, don't get lazy on the goggles.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    If you poured VERY slowly in front of a return flow and aimed well, then you might thoroughly mix the acid with the water, but generally speaking it's a good idea to brush the pool surfaces in the area where you added the acid. At one point, I got lazy about brushing after acid addition in my own pool and I can see some pitting of plaster in the general area where I added the acid.
    OUCH! I bet that "hurts" seeing that.
    Isn't the acid strong enough that by the time you finish pouring, then grab the brush and brush it. That it has already had a chance to sit on the bottom and do damage?
    Does this apply to vinyl liner pools as well?

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by jjslinger
    Good point. I googled it and found this Chemical Resistant Gloves where it says nitrile is okay for "incidental" contact with hydrochloric acid but neoprene or butyl rubber would be preferred for longer term contact.
    By "incidental" I presume they mean an occasional splash won't melt holes in your hand?
    IE. You don't wanna dip your nitrile clothed hand into the acid. YIKES!!

19. Back To Top    #19

By "incidental" I presume they mean an occasional splash won't melt holes in your hand?
    IE. You don't wanna dip your nitrile clothed hand into the acid. YIKES!!
    I've now looked over several websites that discuss the matter, and there is some spread of suggestions. Most say nitrile gloves are okay for "incidental" contact to HCL, but some go into detail about how thick the gloves need to be. Some say to "double up" the gloves if they are the thin disposable kind.

Maybe a TFP expert could chime in here? I certainly want to handle my muriatic acid in a safe manner. My main area of concern is removing that white seal thing that's under the cap on the bottle. On some brands of acid, it comes of easily, but on other brands it's on there pretty good.

Thx,
    Don

20. Back To Top    #20

So is pouring it in front of an active return, in the deep end at full strength safe enough? Or do you really "HAVE TO" brush right away?
    I only have returns at my shallow end. I've never brushed after an addition. My plaster is already in need of redo, but I have not seen any additional problems due to adding acid. I will say I'm not too concerned right now since I need to replaster soon. We had the money saved up for it, but my 1957 A/C unit failed this summer and I had to put a whole new system in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast