Chlorine Tabs got wet- safe to still use? how to store?

Dec 3, 2012
We're first time pool owners and still figuring out all this pool stuff!

Our bucket of chlorine tablets accidentally got wet. Can I just lay them out int he sun to dry and throw back in the bucket? Is that safe? I notice that the smell is horrible when I open the bucket to get more tablets out?

Also, I'm trying to determine the best way to store our pool chemicals? We have three kids and certainly want to keep them away from the stuff and we also want to do it in the safest way possible. I don't want to unknowingly put chemicals together that shouldn't be together and could potentially cause harm. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Lisa
New IG Pool, Aug 2012
15,000 gallon

If you can get the tabs dry, they'll be okay to put back in the container. The fumes can be corrosive, so storage can be tricky.

Most of us here stay clear of the tabs because they cause your CYA to rise to the point that the pool can become unmanageable without a significant water replacement.

It's important to never let chlorine products of different types to mix, and never let any chlorine product mix with any pH adjusting product. One of the small Rubbermaid storage "sheds" would be ideal for storing your chlorine tabs outdoors, but like I said, most of us here use bleach which is heat sensitive.

Welcome to TFP!!!

I would recommend you start reading a few articles in Pool School (button at the upper right). This forum is about understanding your pool's chemistry and then only adding the chemicals it needs ... not necessarily what the pool store wants to sell you. This understanding coupled with testing your own pool with one of our recommended test kits generally can result in significant $ savings.

The tablets are very acidic, so when wet, the solution is very low pH and will corrode whatever they come in contact with.

Here are a few articles to get you started, but check out the rest in Pool School. Feel free to ask questions as they come up:
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

MommyMo said:
Thanks John. I dont quite understand your 2nd paragraph. What is CYA?

I would like to try and dry them out. What do you mean by corrosive?

pool-school/swimming_pool_definitions_abbreviations

CYA is like "sunscreen" + a reserve pool for your chlorine... that's a poor analogy but it's the best I have right now. It keeps some of the Free Chlorine from being active and replenishes the active part as it is used up - both from organic oxidization and sun activity.

CYA is a double edged sword; it protects the chlorine from all just burning off in the sun - and it weakens the chlorine strength. Eventually the CYA gets too high and it gets hard to maintain algae control.

CYA doesn't go away easily and typically the best way to lower CYA is to reduce it by dumping and refilling a portion of the water in the pool.

Corrosive means that the fumes of Chlorine can cause oxidation and damage metal in particular. Different forms of chlorine mix in literally explosive ways. This isn't a problem IN the pool but it is a problem in things like the tab feeder or in a storage bucket.

I currently have the tabs in a storage bucket, closed tight. It is inside a larger container along with a bag of soda ash and and a bag of sodium bicarbonate. Is that a no-no? I am new at this. I'm glad I have you guys to ask questions! Thanks in advance, Lisa

MommyMo said:
I currently have the tabs in a storage bucket, closed tight. It is inside a larger container along with a bag of soda ash and and a bag of sodium bicarbonate. Is that a no-no? I am new at this. I'm glad I have you guys to ask questions! Thanks in advance, Lisa

I know you should not have chlorine with muriatic acid, but I am not sure how it would react to the pH and TA "up".

As you learn about the chemistry you will start to understand why you use what you do.

As we stated before, the pucks are acidic, thus your need for the soda ash to raise the pH and the bicarb to raise the TA. Most members here either use liquid chlorine or have saltwater chlorine generators ... and most likely do not use the above mentioned products and likely have to use muriatic acid to LOWER the pH and TA until a balance is found.

You don't want hypochlorite with strong acid and you don't want a strong base (pH Up isn't strong, but it's still a base) with Trichlor. You most definitely do not want Cal-Hypo near Trichlor. Storing bags of pH Up and Alkalinity Up near Trichlor if the Trichlor is in a sealed bucket/container should be OK. You really want the Trichlor to be in a sealed container since it's vapors are quite strong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Chem Geek. I'm not really sure about all these chemical names you wrote about. I have chlorine tablets that we store in the bucket it came in (but the tabs got wet-ugh!). We store that bucket, along with bags of sodium bicarb and soda ash in a larger, heavy duty plastic container with a super-tight fitting lid.

I do have one bottle of muriatic acid but I'm not quite sure where to store that.

Just make sure the Trichlor bucket is sealed tight. I'm concerned that it may not be well sealed since it apparently got wet and with a good seal it shouldn't have.

I would store the acid in a well-ventilated area away from any metal. I wouldn't store it in a tightly sealed box with the soda ash or sodium bicarb. If you have a separate loose box (such as one with wooden slats) outside, then that would be good for storing the acid. If it's full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid) then it won't freeze (except below -50.8ºF).

Definitely keep pool chemicals away from metal!!

I used to store my pool chemicals in a pool closet that had metal door knobs and hinges. The knobs and hinges rusted away. I ended up replacing the entire door and frame with a nice (& expensive) fiberglass door. I have since moved the chemicals into an outside plastic storage container from lifetime (like this: http://www.lifetime.com/storage/other-s ... torage-box) - by the way lifetime makes quality products.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.