Polaris 280 eating wheels - why?

RickyEarl

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I inherited a neglected Polaris 280 with my current house about a year ago. After spending the summer replacing various parts, I've finally got it basically running correctly - with one exception. On the side with the two large wheels and small wheel in the center, the metal drive gear is constantly eating the teeth on the inside edge of the front wheel. This does not happen on the other side (the "one wheel" side) even though there a similar metal gear meshing with the teeth on the inside of that wheel.

I've replaced the bearings and all the wheels, and replaced the wheel with the issue 3 times. For about a week it works fine, then it starts turning circles. Sure enough, the teeth on that one wheel are worn down. Only fix I've found is to replace the wheel again.

Any idea what's causing this?

Thanks.

The metal teeth on the drive shaft could be bad and too sharp for the plastic.

Another thing is that the wheel is adjustable and can be moved up or back slightly. If the wheel is riding too tight on the drive shaft it could cause it to eat into the wheel.

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I tried the wheel adjustment - loosened the screws and pulled the wheel to where the metal shaft was as deep in the teeth as it would go.

So maybe I need to move that back? Since it is basically lopping/grinding the points off the teeth on the wheel, I thought it might not be meshing deep enough.

The teeth on the shaft look OK, but I may as well just buy a new shaft - they're only $20-25.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.