how to reattach a thermostat sensor

Re: how to reattach a thermostat

We need to know more about what you're talking about. Do you mean pvc piping? If so, what is it going to? And by thermostat, do you mean thermocouple or thermistor? Or something else?

Yes, PVC piping between pentair filter and pool heater. I've replace this section of PVC and the old PVC line had a thermostat for the heater inserted into the PVC (thermocouple). There was about 1/4 drill hole in which this was inserted. I need to replace this back into my new PVC line. The old one was secured with a metal clamp and some sort of rubber sealant of some kind. My question is what is that sealant? Hope this clarifies...

The attached images show the heater thermostat (which gets inserted into the PVC pipe through about 1/4 drilled hole), and a picture of the prior PVC pipe with the compound showing on the pipe.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 49

That just looks like silicone sealant. Just get some 100% silicone sealant and run a bead around the hole and place the sensor in the hole and squash the sealant enough to seal good and let it cure overnight without any water or pressure on it.

I have a hose clamp wrapped around the pipe and over the sensor, no leaks since the sensor has a gasket/o ring. The silicone will act as your gasket and the hose clamp makes sure it stays in place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.