New Pool Post-Fill Up Questions

Jun 22, 2012
Our new in ground 12K gallon gunite pool finish (Marquis quartz) was applied on Thursday afternoon. Filling it through a garden hose started right away. By yesterday evening, the pool was filled up to half the 6" waterline tile, which is when I turned the water off. The builder was supposed to do the start up yesterday but no one showed up. I noticed last night that the water seemed to have dropped a bit but wasn't sure I had filled it as much as I thought so I filled it to halfway up the waterline tile. I checked the water this morning, and it has dropped an inch and a half or two.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it normal for a new pool to lose this much water?

2. Is it OK for the tap water to sit until at least Monday to begin the start up?

3. None of the heads/nozzles (not sure of proper term) for the therapy jets, in floor/wall cleaning system or tanning ledge fountain have been installed. Is that typically done after the pool is filled? Seems odd if so, but I have no idea.

In case you are wondering, I haven't asked our builder because we lost faith in it several months ago (pool was supposed to be done at the beginning of September and there have been many other issues). Monday will be five months from start.

Thanks!

flbassjag said:
Our new in ground 12K gallon gunite pool finish (Marquis quartz) was applied on Thursday afternoon. Filling it through a garden hose started right away. By yesterday evening, the pool was filled up to half the 6" waterline tile, which is when I turned the water off. The builder was supposed to do the start up yesterday but no one showed up. I noticed last night that the water seemed to have dropped a bit but wasn't sure I had filled it as much as I thought so I filled it to halfway up the waterline tile. I checked the water this morning, and it has dropped an inch and a half or two.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it normal for a new pool to lose this much water? No....you have a leak.

2. Is it OK for the tap water to sit until at least Monday to begin the start up? Perhaps, but I would suggest you add a small jug of Clorox

3. None of the heads/nozzles (not sure of proper term) for the therapy jets, in floor/wall cleaning system or tanning ledge fountain have been installed. Is that typically done after the pool is filled? Seems odd if so, but I have no idea. I don't know, either

In case you are wondering, I haven't asked our builder because we lost faith in it several months ago (pool was supposed to be done at the beginning of September and there have been many other issues). Monday will be five months from start.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. A leak certainly wasn't unexpected given all of the other issues we have experienced, and it's sort of been the running joke with our family and neighbors that we would have one (or more) when the pool was finally "done". I guess there's still plenty more that can go wrong once the equipment starts running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.