Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Post-Fill Up Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Post-Fill Up Questions

Our new in ground 12K gallon gunite pool finish (Marquis quartz) was applied on Thursday afternoon. Filling it through a garden hose started right away. By yesterday evening, the pool was filled up to half the 6" waterline tile, which is when I turned the water off. The builder was supposed to do the start up yesterday but no one showed up. I noticed last night that the water seemed to have dropped a bit but wasn't sure I had filled it as much as I thought so I filled it to halfway up the waterline tile. I checked the water this morning, and it has dropped an inch and a half or two.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it normal for a new pool to lose this much water?

2. Is it OK for the tap water to sit until at least Monday to begin the start up?

3. None of the heads/nozzles (not sure of proper term) for the therapy jets, in floor/wall cleaning system or tanning ledge fountain have been installed. Is that typically done after the pool is filled? Seems odd if so, but I have no idea.

In case you are wondering, I haven't asked our builder because we lost faith in it several months ago (pool was supposed to be done at the beginning of September and there have been many other issues). Monday will be five months from start.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New Pool Post-Fill Up Questions

Quote Originally Posted by flbassjag
    Our new in ground 12K gallon gunite pool finish (Marquis quartz) was applied on Thursday afternoon. Filling it through a garden hose started right away. By yesterday evening, the pool was filled up to half the 6" waterline tile, which is when I turned the water off. The builder was supposed to do the start up yesterday but no one showed up. I noticed last night that the water seemed to have dropped a bit but wasn't sure I had filled it as much as I thought so I filled it to halfway up the waterline tile. I checked the water this morning, and it has dropped an inch and a half or two.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it normal for a new pool to lose this much water? No....you have a leak.

2. Is it OK for the tap water to sit until at least Monday to begin the start up? Perhaps, but I would suggest you add a small jug of Clorox

3. None of the heads/nozzles (not sure of proper term) for the therapy jets, in floor/wall cleaning system or tanning ledge fountain have been installed. Is that typically done after the pool is filled? Seems odd if so, but I have no idea. I don't know, either

In case you are wondering, I haven't asked our builder because we lost faith in it several months ago (pool was supposed to be done at the beginning of September and there have been many other issues). Monday will be five months from start.

Thanks!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. A leak certainly wasn't unexpected given all of the other issues we have experienced, and it's sort of been the running joke with our family and neighbors that we would have one (or more) when the pool was finally "done". I guess there's still plenty more that can go wrong once the equipment starts running.

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have pictures of the build process and problems that were encountered?

These can help our experts to properly diagnose where you leaks may be coming from. If they're plumbing related, or what.

If you need help posting photos, see this thread for instructions.
    how-to-add-pictures-to-a-post-full-guide-with-screenshots-t45050.html
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

5. Back To Top    #5

Did the water cover any returns or drains when it was at the high point? Was it just below these after leaking?

- Sent using Tapatalk
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump