Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Trouble with Sundance spa- FLO error and heating issues

Trouble with Sundance spa- FLO error and heating issues

I recently picked up a used Sundance spa to help with my ailing back. I wish I could tell you what year and model it is, but my best guess is that it is a Capri. It sits 3. I have noticed that that I have a constant FLO error, and the water will NOT heat unless the jets are running. I also believe that my circulation pump is causing these issues. It buzzes and is warm to the touch, but I can't feel the water moving at all. I just don't think it is working properly. It's annoying to say the least to have to go outside every few minutes to manually turn the jets on in order to bring the water temp up. I have a new filter on order right now, but I'm afraid I may have to replace the circulation pump also. If there is any more info that you guys need from me I will be happy to try and provide it. This is my first spa and I love it, but it's also a PITA with this issue. Don't get me started on the leaking either I can say that it has an 850 circuit board if that helps any. Sorry I don't have more info to provide, but I think we can figure it out. Thank you for your time.

Don

Re: Trouble with Sundance spa- FLO error and heating issues

I have a Sundance Altamar spa, and I've occasionally had that FLO error message too in the past. If I recall it might have been caused by air in the lines (not filling tub properly?) or possibly from obstruction. I had one of the small cotton intake covers get sucked into pipes before. The service tech guy had a very quick trick to blow it out, but I forget how?

Do you have the manual with schematics? I found it easily at the Sundance site online and keep a copy on my computer for reference.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, Compupool SWCG, Hayward 300# 62 GPM Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, colorful Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/our-p...rd-t49241.html
    TF-100 Test Kit--> http://www.tftestkits.net/

Nine times out of ten, a flo code means the pressure switch isn't working, and ergo your circa pump wont work right, nor usually the heat.
    It's a cheap part and won't take a repair guy more the 20 minutes to fix. It's worth the call unless you're handy and plan to DIY.

If you DIY, you're going to need to google the make and model to get the repair manual.
    Guillens.com usually has good diagrams to help you identify make/model plus parts.

If that doesn't fix it, then there are some tests you can do on the pump -- assuming you have two, not one. If you ave one and the jets work, it's even more likely that it's a bad pressure switch.
    Good luck.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme

Member In the Industry

If the circ pump is buzzing and hot to the touch most likely it is the culprit. If you can remove the equipment access panels, locate the flow switch to see if it is in the closed position or even moving/fluctuating. The circ pumps are fairly expensive at about $175-250.

Good luck!
    Hot Springs certified service tech A
    APSP CST Certified
    CPO Certified

Ok, I busted out the screwdriver and flashlight to do some more digging. I removed the panel just to the right if the circuit board so I could see what was going on. The first thing I noticed was that the circ pump was smoking. I immediately turned the breaker off. Whereas yesterday it was just warm, today it was scalding hot. This leads me to conclude that the pump is responsible in some way. I think at this point since I'm neither handy or lucky, it may be easiest to replace the pump. I'm not sure I could identify enough parts on or related to it in order to fix it as opposed to just putting a new one in. It could just be a valve or clogged up with hair. I just don't know.

FWIW, I found that the tub is indeed a Capri, made in 1998. I also pulled some numbers off the pump. Model is sm-909-nhw-18. Part # is 6226.9. A few other #'s I pulled were 230v, 1ph, 60hz. It also said 30 psi (2bar). I googled the model number and found quite a few options for a replacement. The cheapest replacement I found was about $100, all the way up to $200+.

If it is allowed, could someone link me to a reputable site with the right replacement part so I don't buy the wrong thing? I currently have an order pending from a site that I ordered a new filter, some fix-a-leak, and a couple other items. The problem is that the only shipping option was FedEx ground, which in reality meant Smartpost. This means I might get my order by 2015. Price isn't that big an issue, but getting the correct part in a timely manner is. I just don't have enough experience ordering spa parts yet and thus don't know the good sites to use. I've worked at UPS for almost 15 years and trust them, but again, I just don't want to wait 2+ weeks for the pump to arrive. I wish I was handy enough to fix it myself as I have a feeling that it's something minor. That's just how it works for me.

I apologize for the wall of text, but I wanted to provide as much info as possible so you experts can help me in the best way. In fact, I typed all this from in the spa on my phone. I'm in love with it and can't wait to gain more knowledge and get this thing working properly. I've already learned a ton by lurking and reading posts. Again, thanks to those that took the time to read all this and answer my questions.

Regards,
    Don

If you're uncomfortable ordering online, are in a hurry, and don't care about the pricing difference, why not call a local authorized dealer? They usually stock parts on their trucks. Further, it's possible it just needs a part, like an impeller. Alternately, is the online source an authorized dealer? You could simply check to be certain you're using an authorized dealer, and by phone ask to accelerate the shipping, though I personally haven't had issues with fedex ground.

Based on the prices for the circ pump, though, it's likely cheaper to replace it than rebuild it, because $200 is actually cheap in hot tub land. And if the pump is 14 years old, well, decent chance it's about due for
    replacement regardless (though I got 17 years out of my 2 hp variable speed jacuzzi.)
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme

Not sure if you found the part numbers you were looking for but here is a link to a very helpful PDF document that list the part number.

http://www.spaandpoolsource.com/pdf/sun ... to2007.pdf
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA