Test kit -2042 question

riseandrun

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2012
Hi Everybody,
I have a K-2042 test kit I'm trying to understand my results.
I tested my FC with the tester and got 8ppm. I then test for CC and got 1.2. Next step was the Monopersulfate compound test. My final result was 0 (zero) TO=9.2 FC=8 CC=1.2
MC=TO-(FC +CC) Does the 0 mean I have no Monopersulfate showing up in the water, or does it mean my CC is actually 0?
When I just tested my pool my with the TFT-100 I got a reading of <1CC. the question is arrising from a previous post that menitoned if I used Monopersulfate (Oxy Clear) in my pool I could get a false reading with my CC. (If I understood correctly)
Thanks!
KW

That's what I was afraid I'd hear. I'm pretty sure I did it correctly. I'm just surprised how long I'm shocking my pool to get 0 CC. 1 week of above FC of >16 and CYA around 30..... I think I have read it could take this long....
Thanks for the response.

riseandrun said:
Hi Everybody,
I have a K-2042 test kit I'm trying to understand my results.
I tested my FC with the tester and got 8ppm.
What tester gave the 8ppm?

riseandrun said:
I then test for CC and got 1.2.
Again what test gave this result?

riseandrun said:
Next step was the Monopersulfate compound test. My final result was 0 (zero) TO=9.2 FC=8 CC=1.2
MC=TO-(FC +CC) Does the 0 mean I have no Monopersulfate showing up in the water, or does it mean my CC is actually 0?
When using the test for MPS you test twice, once for FC and CC with the MPS neutralized, then again without the neutralizer. At least that's how I read the instructions here:
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... umber=5807

riseandrun said:
When I just tested my pool my with the TFT-100 I got a reading of <1CC. the question is arrising from a previous post that menitoned if I used Monopersulfate (Oxy Clear) in my pool I could get a false reading with my CC. (If I understood correctly)
That seems odd. The FAS-DPD test is the same in both cases. I would not expect one to read 1.2 & the other to read < 1.

Check the instructions one more time and go fast on that initial step. The way I an reading it, you are performing the basic FAS-DPD test with the minor change of adding an MPS neutralizer. Then you do the test again testing for TC by not adding the MPS neutralizer and by adding r003 to get both FC & CC.

Sent via Tapatalk...

UWV,
I think I'm understanding this now that you mentioned the two differences. One with the neutralizer and one without. Wouldn't the 1.2 actually be the the effect the monpersulfate is having on my water? (Or wishful thinking so I can finally rid my pool of CC's?) When the two equal each other in the end (MC) It just verifies that you did the test correctly? Re-reading it I think I better go back to Pool School and find out what oxidizer is... :swim:
I meant to call Taylor today and never got around to it. I will try and remember tomorrow and report back.

Here are the instructions you should have followed.

> DROP TEST
>FAS-DPD CHLORINE (FREE & COMBINED) (1 drop = 0.2 ppm)
> MONOPERSULFATE COMPOUND (1 drop = 0.2 ppm)
> (USE WITH R-0870)

NOTE: This procedure will selectively determine free
chlorine, combined chlorine, and monopersulfate (not
persulfate). To determine monopersulfate it is first
necessary to determine both free and combined chlorine,
if present.

Chlorine (Free, Combined) Test

1. Rinse and fill sample tube to 25 mL mark with water to
be tested.

2. Add 1 heaping dipper R-0870 and QUICKLY swirl to mix.
IMMEDIATELY add 1.0 mL R-0867 and QUICKLY swirl to mix.
Sample will turn pink if free chlorine (FC) is present.

3. Add R-0871 dropwise, swirling and counting after
each drop, until color changes from pink to
colorless. Always hold bottle in vertical position.
Number of drops is Reading A. IMMEDIATELY add 10 drops
R-0003. Swirl to mix. WAIT 1 MINUTE. Sample will turn
pink if combined chlorine (CC) is present.

4. Add R-0871 dropwise, swirling and counting after each
drop, until color changes from pink to colorless. Always
hold bottle in vertical position. Number of drops is
Reading B.

5. Multiply Reading A by 0.2. Record as ppm free chlorine
(FC). Multiply Reading B by 0.2. Record as ppm
combined chlorine (CC).

Monopersulfate Compound Test

1. Rinse and fill sample tube to 25 mL mark with water to
be tested.

2. Add 1 heaping dipper R-0870. Swirl until dissolved.

3. Add 10 drops R-0003. Swirl to mix. WAIT 1 MINUTE.

4. Add R-0871 dropwise, swirling and counting after each
drop, until color changes from pink to colorless.
Always hold bottle in vertical position.

5. Multiply drops of R-0871 by 0.2. Record as ppm total
oxidizer (TO).

6. To calculate ppm monopersulfate compound (MC) as chlorine:
MC = TO - (FC + CC). Record as ppm.

NOTE: A negative value for MC may be obtained when MC is
zero (0) or very low (0-0.4 ppm as chlorine). This
is caused by variables such as sample measurement,
drop variation, etc.
The first part of the test determines FC & CC and the second part of the test determines TO.

In your first post you said that you got 8 ppm FC, 1.2 ppm CC and 9.2 ppm TO. To get monopersulfate compound (MC) you subtract (FC+CC) from TO. If you did the tests correctly you have Zero (9.2-(9.2)=0) monopersulfate compound (MC), so that indicates that you actually have 1.2 ppm CC. :cry:

Unless or course I'm completely misinterpreting the instructions. :?

Those are the instructions in the link from UWV and the ones I have.
I talked to Taylor test kits today. A very nice lady named Gail. We talked for a while about CC's and shocking the pool and when I mentioned I had an indoor pool she told me (at least this is my paraphrasing) if I'm shocking the pool indoors I need to blow fans or have something that will blow the CC's away from the pool surface as they dissapate. In other words you need to have good air circulation. I told her after I shock the pool I put the automatic cover back over it!! She told me the CC's are going right back into the water. What say the pro's? It seems logical.
As far as the test goes we were reading it correctly.

Well, I am not a pro, but ...

The CC do not "evaporate" from the pool ... they are broken down by either the sun (UV) or additional FC.

Pretty sure even if the pool was sealed, if you keep the FC level up, the CC level will eventually go to zero.

Only reason to be running fans would be to reduce the smell of the CC I think.

Some CC's will outgas, but most are oxidized, at least if they are inorgranic chloramines. They end up as nitrogen gas and nitrate and a small amount of nitrogen trichloride. It is true, however, that the nitrogen trichloride that is produced is very volatile and irritating so it's a good idea to keep the pool uncovered when shocking so that it outgasses and you can remove it. If you don't, then when you do remove the cover you could get a blast of it which wouldn't be good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.