Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward ignitor failure at 70deg

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward ignitor failure at 70deg

Hey everyone,

Ive been troubleshooting my spa heater for a few weeks now and im out of ideas, any assistance would be much appreciated. I have a hayward 400idl natural gas model. At first the unit would attempt to ignite 3 times then display ignitor failure IF, heat could be felt from the top for a few seconds and I could smell some gas fumes. I pulled the unit apart and when attempting to clean the igniter broke it, so I replaced that. Pulled all of the gas nozzles out to check for blockage and one had a spider web in it, cleaned and reinstalled. Fired the unit back up and it worked perfectly for about 5-10mins bringing the spa from 64 to 70degrees, as soon as it hit 70 the gas kicked off, attempted to reignite twice and again displayed IF. Any ideas out there?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward ignitor failure at 70deg

You may have a bad high limit switch or is it possible that somehow your heater is set to 70?

3. Back To Top    #3

Had it set to 100, ill look into the switch after work. Thanks for your input!

4. Back To Top    #4

No problem! Let me know what you find and I'll see what I can do to help!

5. Back To Top    #5

Still have this same issue...so far I've changed the igniter, upper limit switch on the manifold, and the flame sensor. I've also pulled the entire gas tube out, and cleaned everything to make sure there weren't spider webs or any other sort of debris blocking the flow. The heater still attempts to ignite and fail resulting in the "If" display. Any other ideas? Or does anyone know a trustworthy repair person in san diego?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Replace the control board. As the name implies, it controls everything. If you ever have an IF code and replacing the ignitor doesn't fix it, then it's the control board of which the ignitor plugs into.

I know people always want to repair things themselves but at some point you should get a professional involved. It saves time and money. The money savings comes in becasue you don't have to buy all these parts to change out only to find out the problem still exists.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

Anyone happen to know the part number for the control board and/or the cheapest place online to purchase one?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

9. Back To Top    #9

Is this what I'm looking for? The control-bezel?

http://www.parts4heating.com/Hayward-ID ... pa1930.htm