Best water features - we need ideas!

Sep 18, 2012
Lake Nona, Florida
If there are good search terms or a prior thread that nailed this... just point me.

But we are needing ideas for a water feature. It is the last part of the pool to design and it needs to get done soon (we had steel set today and they will shoot the pool Wednesday). The plumber was fine to stub out the feed and install a valve. I'd like to see it lit up too but somehow that didn't end up on the plans. We are subbing out all the finish work ourselves (PB did engineering, permits, dig, steel and gunite - we have our own subs for the rest) - so this is not in our bids yet.

DW wants something relatively small in keeping with the scale of the pool (12x22 with an L shape 7x12 sun shelf). I'm fine with that. We have voted down the simple stuff (sheer descent or sheer arc) as well as the pre-fab fake stone waterfalls. If anyone can post pictures of cool water features and let us know any downsides... that could help move along the process. For sure some pictures will help me get DW to tell me what she doesn't want...

I'm not sure if we need to finalize this before the coping is set or if we can add it over the deck/coping? It seems to me it might be good to build it on a small pad and tile into it and deck up to it instead? Personally I'd like something that looks "natural" in free form stone and a waterfall that makes a nice noise when running. I'd like to see it lit somehow to just "glow" at night... and, of course be inexpensive, low maintenance and not prone to cause troubles later.

Have you considered a fire and water feature? When we did ours we did only the fire feature because it was a last minute thing. In hindsight, a pair of combo fire/water spillover bowls would have been very nice. Look around on the web, you will have sticker shock but if you look hard enough there are a few websites that are fairly inexpensive as long as you stay with a simple design and do not insist on a full remote start.

Here is a pic of my friend's pool for a natural stone option...my best advice is to draw something up and discuss it with PB

aj050110_a.jpg

I like fire and water... but it's not clear to me I can do that under a screen enclosure?

It's getting plumbed this week and I still have no clue. I'd sketch something for the PB but I don't know what my wife has in mind which is where I need to start. I'm hoping if I see a picture I like I can work from that. Still searching. (and yes, there is some sticker shock here)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.