what would you add or change?

Feb 23, 2011
Frisco, Tx
We are getting ready to start the construction of our first pool in DFW. My question is for anyone who already built a pool, is there anything you would have added or changed or done differently?

We have decided on a sport pool that is 31 x 17 free form with depths of 3.5, 6 and 4. We will have a 12" raised spa and a slide. We went with two led lights in the pool and a pebble finish. We also added the iPod remote system a SWCG and a few aerators.

Thanks

Wish I would have spent the extra on lighted/laminar jets. (my concrete is 8 feet from inside edge to outside.) would have also run a suction side cleaner line as well.

Very happy I put in 2 lights instead of 1 as suggested. Extremely happy that I got all the equipment online as a package- saved quite a bit.

Thanks for the input so far. Flippy, I increased the size of the spa and I chose not to have a baja shelf in my pool. I felt the shelf was a waste of space for our use and since we like sitting in the spa I went ahead and increased the size. 4knights, the lighting was a decision I had to make as well. I chose to add two lights instead of one which was recommended by the builder.

I thought about a deep end but growing up we had a deep end and it seemed like wasted space. Most people liked to hang out in the 3-4 foot water. It was like half of the pool was wasted. Also, when we played volleyball the people in the deep end lost out. I also remember some crazy stuff happening off of the diving board. I could see my kids recreating it.

I would put the pumpworks of my pool next to the house, andother 30 feet or so away from the pool. I CANNOT STAND LISTENING TO THE PUMP RUN. It is not that loud, but it just annoys me. I would also pony up for more deck. The previous owner of my house had my pool built and skimped on a lot of things...concrete being one of them. 8' on the ends and 4' on the sides does not allow for chaise lounges...

Also, I would have moved my septic tank/treatment plant. It is so close to the pool that when my aerator is on, the smell coming out of the vent is horrendous. It sits on the south side of the pool, so warm southerly breezes bring it right to the pool.

Think about landscaping. We have a pampas grass that is so big, I am going to have to rent an excavator to remove some of it. It is planted (previous owner, again) WAY too close to pumpworks. Think about MATURE plant size...

Things that I have remedied - added a GFCI outlet next to the pumpworks for several things - I use a 100w light bulb for heat (freeze protection) sometimes in the winter, I use tools out there when doing maintenance (always dong something), and I hate trying to blow off the deck using an extension cord run to the house, because inevitably, I fear it will get into the pool.

I also have put unions on everything for quick access. I can take the top off my filter, and remove pump or booster pump all with a strap wrench and a screwdriver to disconnect electrical. I also added a timer - the BEST way (without new motors/pumps, etc) to get electrical savings IMHO. Next project is to install Jandy type valves.

Last thing I reccommend is to make sure that the things you specify are not going to be obsolete in a year or two. I have Jacuzzi stuff, and it is REALLY difficult to source parts sometimes - they go in and out and in and out of business. I have a client that has a light (fiberstars) that the lamp is obsolete, and the pool is only 8 years old. That is a big expense to replace something that otherwise works for a $75 part...

Mmacleer, I'm only weighing in because you asked, but your pool will last longer than your children are children,. Are you certain you don't want a deep end? Diving, for me, is one of the most enjoyable pleasures of the pool. When your children are older, they may feel as I do, provided they ever learn. And with noodles, no space is wasted ;)

So if neither you nor your partner enjoy diving, fine. But in no time your kid's will be grown and gone and you
will be left with a pool in which you can't dive. For me, that would be a sad thing.

My perpetual suggestion: make sure the skimmer is at the extreme downwind end of the pool, even if it means a longer pipe run.

Also, I wish my main drain had a separate pipe with its own valve rather than a diverter in the bottom of the skimmer.

There should be an outlet near the electrical panel, and I sure wish I had a hose bibb adjacent to the filter.

Oh yeah, and a multiport valve with a waste setting. By backwash valve is integral with the filter. It works fine, but if I could just turn the handle and pump it down during rainstorms without losing filter media, it would be great.

mmcaleer said:
Thanks for the input so far. Flippy, I increased the size of the spa and I chose not to have a baja shelf in my pool. I felt the shelf was a waste of space for our use and since we like sitting in the spa I went ahead and increased the size. 4knights, the lighting was a decision I had to make as well. I chose to add two lights instead of one which was recommended by the builder.

If you like your hot tub like we do you will not regret getting a bigger one. I honestly can say that we use ours 3 days each week throughout the year. My neighbors think I am nuts, but my backyard is my get away from my hectic job. I like the fall/winter days the best when the weather is cool and the wind is calm. Post some pics when they start your build. Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
- get as much decking as you can afford, I did and I love it

- I would have put my LED spa light facing away from my house like my Pool LED lights, at night my spa looks like a headlight

- I would have put fiber lights in my 3' waterfall descents

- I would have put an electrical outlet on both ends of my decking rather than just one

- I would have put my umbrella anchors about 2’ inwards rather than the outside edge of my deck, because of the way the sun rises and sets they are almost useless where they are now

Other than that my pool is perfect and we're in love with it, check out my build thread in my signature :)

:wave:
Would absolutely do again:

* The Taylor Test kit you can buy from this site

* I love the pentair LED lights, 1 big one, 1 sm in spa, 1 sm in grotto

* I too wouldn't skimp on the decking

* I love the Diamond Brite finish (hybrid color)

* Our spa is awesome, but I wouldn't mind a ledge (made of rocks in my case) to put towels. They get wet sitting on the rim of the spa when the jets are on sometimes

* I like that there are 2 skimmers

* I like the size, shape and depth of ours (4-5-4) We're floaters mostly..

* Love the computer system (EasyTouch)

* Electrical outlets on patio and in back of grotto

What I don't like:

* The leaves and acorns from the Red Oak tree..

* My neighbor put a $2300+/- slide in... and I've only seen the kids use it a few times

Good luck!! I'll be watching your progress!

If your spa is raised 12" off of the surround decking i'd add another 6" so the wall can be used as a bench seat. 12" is too low for a seat... but if the whole deck is raised 12" no worries. Also, i had a pool with a 6.5' deep end and it wasn't deep enough for safe diving. 8' is good.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.