6584 multiplex board for RS-485 expansion needed?

Dixit

Jul 16, 2012
Duluth, GA (ATL)
I currently have a iAqualink where I have 4 devices (2 per connector) connected to the PCB. I have the iAqualink, LX400 heater, RS8 Control Panel inside, and Aquapure Ei SWG.

I want to add possibly the ePump or VS FloPro in a month and allow it to also be controlled by the iAqualink but I read in the manual that each RS-485 connector can support 2 devices, so for me 4 max. It states to do more than 2 on each connector, you need to purchase a 6584 multiplex board. I looked at this and it looks like nothing but 4 connectors all connected in parellel, nothing fancy to me.

Couldnt I just essentially create my own or simply take one wire going into one of the RS485 connectors and have that as my main wire that a bunch of other devices can simply connect to say by wire nutting them all together?

Or is there somehow a specific limit per connector? Seems like its just serial communication so shouldnt be a limit.

Dixit

There is a limit, too many wires all connected together will overload the line drivers. However, that limit is quite high. Below that limit, it is simply a matter of getting a good electrical connection. Feeding three or more wires into the existing connectors tends to result in bad connections. Making your own connections with wire nuts and routing one wire from there to the RS485 connection will work just fine as long as you make sure the connections are solidly made and aren't going to get pulled out or fall apart over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.