Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what is the thin plastic that came with solar cover for ?

1. Back To Top    #1

what is the thin plastic that came with solar cover for ?

I bought a solar cover for my pool a few months ago. When I took it out of the box, besides the actual solar cover itself, there were also 2 pretty long , I believe sort of rectangular pieces of very thin blue plastic sheets.
    At the time I had no idea what they were used for so I just threw them out of the way. I am cleaning out that area and came across these and am wondering if they have an actual purpose or can I just toss them.
    I was thinking maybe for a reel if I had one, but I checked out a few sites about attaching a reel and never saw these mentioned. I have not seen anything similar in any pictures of a solar cover.........but I doubt if they just toss in plastic for the heck of it but it didn't say a thing about them in the directions either.
    any ideas appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what is the thin plastic that came with solar cover for

You can roll your cover up in them during the off season to keep them protected.
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by redhdgirl417
    You can roll your cover up in them during the off season to keep them protected.
    To expand: it's supposed to protectthe cover from UV degradation. You'll know when it happens - you'll find the skimmer full of little blue plastic circles.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the info

5. Back To Top    #5

We never used the thin plastic that came with ours when we put the cover up for the summer in 2011 and as Richard said, it was obvious that our cover was ruined after sitting all summer. (plastic bubbles in the skimmer) Lesson learned and now when we stop using the cover for the season (summer or winter - only really use the cover on the pool in spring and fall here) we store it in the shade and bungee a tarp around it with the silver side out. Worked great this year for us. I really don't trust the thin plastic to protect it from getting UV'd, but perhaps it works and the tarp is overkill.
    Ken & Shari
    Savannah, GA
    16' x 40' freeform fiberglass inground (Pacific model, mfg by Tallman Pools), 23k gal, 2" plumbing throughout, Intellichlor IC-40, Easy Touch controller, Intelliflow VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Quad Cartridge filter. 4 Jandy deck jets (3/4" plumbing), Fiberstars color changing lighting, SR Smith salt friendly diving system, Interfab Wild Ride slide, Aquasol Solar Heat (5 panels 4'x12' DIY install automated with ET) RIP Nitro Wall Climber Mar 2011-Aug 2012, Nitro is survived by a Polaris 360.

6. Back To Top    #6

I do have a roof I keep mine under, but will go ahead and wrap it up. I appreciate the info