Hayward Sand Filter Questions

Jun 23, 2009
Columbia, SC
I have a Hayward sand filter (I'm not near it now but I believe it is a pro-series. In any case a standard sand filter with a control valve handle at the top to move between filter, waste, backwash, recirculate, etc.) It has been in use for seven seasons with no maintenance other than backwashing and rinsing. I know it's not working like it once was and I notice two things in particular. The pressure gauge rarely moves (it is working properly because I add DE occasionally and it moves then) and it simply does not clean the water as efficiently. What is this a likely sign of? Does it just need some maintenance or is the sand channeled? Does the sand need to be changed? Another problem is I see no way to remove the top without cutting the PVC pipes attached to the valve because they are firmly cemented together. Is that standard practice?

No, there's no need to ever change your sand except under rare circumstances. IE. so gummy and gooey do to lack of maintenance for years and years and a filter that's older than the town. :shock: Yeah. :wink:

It sounds like you need to clean & resettle the sand bed. See my sig for how to do that.
But you have to pop the top, or 2 halves in order to do so.

As for the pipes being cemented in place, I'm not sure on that one.
I do know that there are usually hand tight, ribbed slip rings that slide over the joint at the multi-port valve. Just undo those and some wiggling of things and you should be good.
But beyond that, someone else will chime in and give you some info there.
Do you have a picture of it?

When you say the pressure guage rarely moves, tell us more.

What is your normal operating psi? Does the psi go to zero when you shut it off?

Probably need to cut loose the multiport and inspect the sand bed (re-install with unions) to find the issue but answer the questions about your psi first. Sand beds should be inspected yearly and cleaned if necessary.

The guage stays at 11 when the pump is running and it drops to zero when I shut it off. I've not backwashed for short increments (hours) and long periods (weeks) and it always goes immediately back to 11 and stays there. The only time it goes up, and it typically happens quite fast is when I add DE. (Perhaps I'm adding too much or adding it too quickly.) I periodically add DE to remove dead algae (I've had algae outbreaks which is another story) but it requires more monitoring as the gauge reading will go up to 25 or so if I don't watch it. In case it is significant after I add DE and the gauge reading gets up high I begin to get air in the pump, I figure because it is straining too hard to suck the water in at that pressure level. Something else I just thought of. Since the begining of this past summer when I first turn the pump on water often squirts out the flange clamp where the control valve meets the body of the sand filter.

I will post a picture of the piping but I'm pretty sure I will need to cut them to get at the sand.

Thank you all for your help.

It sounds to me like your filter is working correctly. Why are you adding DE? Using it to remove dead algae is a potential problem.

It sounds like you have some inconsistent management procedures that is causing your pool to give you problems. Can you post a comp[lete set of test results?

It could be that the sand is channeled but since adding DE raises the pressure it doesn't sound like it. How much DE are you adding?

You should only add about a cup full. If you're not adding much more than that and the pressure is rising really fast it's most likely because there's stuff in the water that the DE is catching.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.