Cold water and CYA

May 7, 2010
Dallas, TX
my CYA came out to about 30, but I tested the water right out of the pool. My thermometer is broken, but the outside temp is about 65 without overnight lows in the 40's. Should i be waiting for the water to get to room temp? If so for just the CYA or all tests?

High chlorine (above 10ppm) affects the pH test but has no significant affect on the other tests.

Pool temp of around 60 degrees should have very little affect on the CYA test.....certainly within the margin of the test.

Room temp is best and VERY cold water (say less than 45 degrees) is reported to have some effect.

High FC (> 10ppm) makes the pH test read higher than reality {Theoretically, if you read the color very quickly, the pH test is correct, but it drifts up fast as the FC gets higher ... like within a few seconds. So, safest to not trust the test with a FC > 10ppm}

I've noticed my CYA start to climb over the last few weeks as well. (was about 40 around mid Oct - @ 50 now)
I know I'm not putting anything in the pool that would cause it to go up, so I just figured it was because the water temp coming down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.