Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA test color is wrong

1. Back To Top    #1

TA test color is wrong

Do I have old checmicals? All my other chemicals seem to work fine, but when i add the 5 drops of green solution after the two drops of r-7, it turns a sort of bluish color, then when i start adding drops of the last reagent, it turns yellow within 2 drops.
    I haven't tested it in a long while (long story) and just want to know if i need to switch those out? CH, PH test were fine and normal.
    new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: TA test color is wrong

You have too high chlorine. Add a drop of thiosulphate to your water prior to adding the other reagents. Also you are probably getting inaccurate readings on the other teats.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    You have too high chlorine. Add a drop of thiosulphate to your water prior to adding the other reagents. Also you are probably getting inaccurate readings on the other teats.
    ok thanks. my brother misread my directions while we were out of town and added too ,uch cholorine. turns out he waited too long anyways as we have algae on the sides. but my chlorine is at 30. Not too much over my shock level but i'll wait for it to come down? how does it affect the other tests? My PH was 7.0 (he added an extra bottle too much of acid as well)
    new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Well usually the other tests can get bleached out as well. However, with the ph, the result would be a purple endpoint. So maybe its not high enough to affect the others.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Other than changing the colors, the presence of high chlorine has no appreciable affect on the TA test. from the instructions in the TF-100......
    NOTE: In the presence of high chlorine, initial color may be blue and shift to yellow. Test is still valid.
    The pH test is not valid with chlorine levels much above 10ppm but the other tests are not affected.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School