Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool still open in North East..can't get pH down

1. Back To Top    #1

pool still open in North East..can't get pH down

Ok..so I realize I am at risk for sounding like a total pool idiot but here goes...we wanted to close our pool in October- new pool IG pebblesheen...the pool company came out to close it and said we had to have our SWG turned off for at least a month prior to closing and that our chemicals should remain in balance for 2 weeks without having to add anything.

So here we are entering December..our FC is non-existent- pool company said not to worry about chlorine at this point in time..only get the pH to 7.2-7.6. It keeps creeping up and we are still adding muriatic acid on a weekly basis. Will the pH ever come down and stay down without us having to add acid?

I'll add that we live in North East part of country and temps are at 40 degrees on average.

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!
    32,000 gallon, inground gunite, Blue Granite pebblesheen with luminous and shimmering sea shells

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool still open in North East..can't get pH down

No matter what start-up procedure is used, your pool will consume a lot of acid during the first 6-12 months as the plaster finish continues to cure. It is important to test your pH daily and do not let it climb above 7.8. Be sure to continue to brush the pool at least weekly during this period.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re:Trying to close pool in North East..can't get pH down

I'd really like to close this pool..seeing as snow is melting in it right now! so...I guess I should just ask if pH is ever going to be stable enough for me to close it! What happens if I close it and it is still high?
    32,000 gallon, inground gunite, Blue Granite pebblesheen with luminous and shimmering sea shells

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: pool still open in North East..can't get pH down

Hi Kristina....what is your current TA level? A new plaster pool will be subject to PH rise, especially if you have High TA...please post a full set of test results and we'll get you headed in right direction (FC, PH, TA, CH, CYA).
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator