Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balancing Cold Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Balancing Cold Water

I have a 2 month old pool, completed in October. I live in the South East and will keep the pool open (technically), as my spa is located inside the pool. I'm trying to balance water that has a temperature of about 48 degrees and am having trouble keeping the LSI under -.50. At ideal PH (7.5), Akl (100), and Hardness (180) the LSI is -.60.

Which of the three attributes should I try and raise, if any? PH? Akl? Hardness?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Balancing Cold Water

Hi, welcome to TFP! If your pool has a plaster finish then your calcium level needs to be 250 ppm. If you have a vinyl or fiberglass pool 180 would be fine. What are you using to test the water?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's plaster, but even at 250 the LSI is -.25. How would one go about about getting it lower than that at a water temp of 48 degrees?

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP. You can play around with the values on I would think CSI of -.25 is just fine.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

San Rafael, CA USA

Unless you have metals in the water, you can have the pH be higher, say around 7.8. Colder water will naturally have a higher pH, all else equal. Usually you have the CH for a plaster pool be around 300 ppm or so.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"