Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Still undecided on pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Still undecided on pool

Hi All

I am new to this forum, I am looking at getting one of the intex ultra above ground pools,

Still a little un decided if I should or shouldn't get one, I own my house and live in it my self,

If I go for one I would have it salt water to save on chemicals.

What sort of things should I be taking into consideration when putting one in?

I have been told to expect $100AU in power and upkeep.

The pool comes with a cover and will be up all year round.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mint Hill, NC

Re: Still undecided on pool

Salt does not save money in the long haul with larger systems but the small Intex systems are pretty cheap so it might save you money.

If you do get an Intex system disconnect the copper bars.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sault Ontario

The single most important thing when putting a pool up is getting the ground level.
    You cannot determine level with your naked eye, you may be able to see if it's flat but level and flat are 2 different things. There are lots of videos online showing proper pool set up, watch those and get educated on the proper steps.
    A pool that is out of level is a risk to people and property.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW MO

Check local codes and home owner association rules so you don't get more expense then you plan for. There are several threads here about what people have run into.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

5. Back To Top    #5
    Hamilton, NJ

We have a 9x18 with salt. So easy to maintain its crazy. I spent the summer floating in mine while my niece spent all summer trying to keep her water clear. Salt water is the way to go. As others said level level level and then relevel. And don't use cement blocks. One of ours busted and we had to empty and start again. We love our pool and will be getting a bigger one when this one goes!!
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

Previous pool: 9x18 intex with salt water generator and vinylworks 5x10 deck.