Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help: Need to shut off Pool Autofill

1. Back To Top    #1

Help: Need to shut off Pool Autofill

I need to shut off my pool Autofill valve to determine where I may have a leak. I'm getting a lot of water from my overflow and backwash drain and trying to diagnos the problem. Except I can't figure out how to shut down my autofill. Its connected to my sprinkler system and I thought if I just turned my sprinkler system off that should do it but it didn't. I seem to find a shut off valve. I attached a picture of it here. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Richmond, Texas

Re: Help: Need to shut off Pool Autofill

Are you sure the autofill is not the problem? I had a problem with my autofill where it wasn't adjusted correctly and would continue to run. BTW - I have a cut off valve, but also can adjust the auto fill not to run. Mine is slightly different from yours.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I think steeler123 is attempting to do a drain down test to see where his water level stops (near the leaky problem). Your shut off valve is elsewhere. Did you simply turn the sprinler system off? If so, you need to locate the shut off valve to the whole system. Sometimes there are two, one main, one secondary. If you can find the main that would be the best. Look for an access box in the ground, and don't be surprised if it is burried slightly.

Good luck!
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Central Texas

See that fitting hiding under the water in your pic? It's just below the white lever. That is the overflow outlet (if your pool is plumbed to use that spot as the overflow). Mine has a standpipe there. It's just a piece of PVC pipe, stuck into that fitting, that extends an inch or two above the level where the autofill shuts off. When rain overfills the pool, the excess drains off via the standpipe until the level is below the top of the standpipe.

Did the standpipe somehow get removed from yours or is your overflow drained from somewhere else?
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

If you can't find the valve, you can prop up the float so that the filler won't run. A bent piece of coat hanger will work.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden