Haward top vs side valve sand filter

jondon

Nov 15, 2012
Hi,

This fall my Hayward S244S (side valve) sand filter actually split open from top to bottom just after I turned on the pump and air was clearing the return system. Not sure if anyone has hear of that before? It's good I was close by at the time. Anyway, I need to replace it and notice that the top mounted valve version of the filter (S244T) is generally over $100 cheaper than the side mounted valve filter. Clearance over the top of the filter is not an issue for me. Does anyone know if there is any functional difference between the filters that would justify paying more for the side valve filter.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
John

The top mounted valve filter is cheaper because it's less expensive to manufacture the vessel, manifold and valve on a top mount than for a side mount. Functionally they operate the same and the head loss is about the same. As long as you have head room, I'd go with the top mount filter.

How old is the filter? I had a DE split and drain my pool. Hayward replaced it ... less than 5 years old as I recall.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thanks for the information. The pool was installed by the PO of my house in 1986 and the filter is one of the remaining original components so I will not be making a warranty claim. I don't even think the sand had ever been replaced in it and the filter was working fine. You can't expect much more from it. I just didn't expect it to suddenly split open spraying a vertical knife of water 20' :shock: It certainly went out with a bang.

Looks like I'll go with the top mount version and hope for another 25+ years of worry free operation.

Regards,
John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.