Tile Grout Repair & Fiberglass Pulling Up

pcmacd

Oct 3, 2010
Maricopa County, AZ
I've had to empty my ~15K gallon gunnite/glass pool to replace the water. It had so much sodium in it that I was concerned that I couldn't use it for drinking water in an emergency, and the phosphorous and CYA were off the charts (din't have much trouble keeping the algae out, tho -- just used LOTS of bleach!)

While it is empty, I have some small ~3/4" underwater decorative tiles on some steps and sets that have come loose (I still have the tiles.)

What kind of grout is recommended for to re-set the loose ones?

Also, I had my gunnite pool fiber glassed a good ten or 15 years back. It is holding up nicely, however, a spot in the jacuzzi, while still intact, seems to be pulling up, as I can definitely hear a void when it is rapped with the knuckles. Should I worry about this? It's been this way for at least five years.

If so, is this something I might be able to repair myself? The work had a 20 year warranty, but big surprise! The contractor declared bankruptcy, so out went the warranty. I'd PAY the SOB to come and fix it, but he doesn't answer my inquiries.

tx

mac

Clean out all the loose stuff before you start, from the hole and the back of the tile. You need to set it then clean up the excess grout before it sets, just follow the instructions on the container and you should be good to go.

Well, sheesh. This is taking for-evah. I am having lots of back problems and not feeling so very very hot.

I live in the Sunny People's Republik of Southern Kalifornia. My pool is still empty from Thanksgiving weekend.

To the pint: I had a small, perhaps 18" section of glass pulling up from the gunnite in my spa; it's been that way for years. AND THEN, DUH, we had a couple of very low 30 degree nights WITH MY POOL STILL EMP-TEEE!

• Plastics HAVE A MUCH HIGHER COEFFICIENT OF THERMAL EXPANSION THAN DOES CONCRETE, STOOPID!

It has now pulled up nearly all around the 12 foot circumference.

Don't be a dumb s--t like me; do this stuff in the spring or autumn. Live and freaking learn.

I mean, fer Chrissake, I am a degreed mechanical engineer! I KNOW about this STUFF! [AT LEAST I USED TO REMEMBER! IT!

I don't know if it age or the back meds that are making me stoopid.

As any rabid proponent for this or that cause would say,

[center:17sga8n2]"If this will prevent just ONE delamination, I hope somebody just READS about my STOO-PID mistakes!"[/center:17sga8n2]

mac

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.