cloudy and impatient.

Thanks Jason. I had a different understanding of how backwash works. So I should just keep running the filter and hope it will all clear up. How do you feel about using a little diamatious earth in the skimmer before starting to vacuum?

If you only have Filter and Backwash on your valve (meaning it is not a multi-valve), then you will have to leave it on Filter when vacuuming. Adding a little DE to the sand filter has certainly proven to be effective by many members, you want to add enough to raise the pressure by only 1psi (not very much) and then backwash when the pressure is 20-25% higher than your normal clean pressure. If you are trying to vacuum up stuff, the filter with DE may clog pretty quickly.

Have you opened up the filter and inspected the sand to make sure it is not clumpy/channeled? I would recommend running a water hose down in through the sand bed and stirring it up to clean the sand and let the gunk overflow from the top, but if your equipment in indoors, that would make a huge mess.

You must be on-line :-D I just ran over to the pool house and I never realized the multi-positions I have on there. I think I've been confusing waste and backwash. I do have waste so I'm going back to plan A. Let it settle and use waste in the morning. I'll wait on the DE since I don't think my pressure guages are very accurate.
Thanks
Kevin

Filter: Water goes DOWN through the sand, return to pool
Clean/Rinse (may not have this): Water goes DOWN through the sand, exit to waste
Backwash: Water goes UP through the sand, exit to waste (so the dirt in the top layers of sand gets pushed back out to waste)
Waste: Water bypass the filter and exits to waste
Recirculate: Water bypass the filter and return to pool

Here's a few pictures of my pool. The water here is so hard I have bad staining I hope to address after I get the chemistry back in check. I vacuumed this morning to "waste". At 45 gpm I only have about 10 minutes before I'm nearing the bottom of the skimmer. I overfilled it for phase 2 later today or tomorrow morning. Phase 2 is the same as 1. Can someone tell me what the "whiteish powdery" substance is that gets stirred up as I vacuum? Is it old PH chemical? Algae?
One more thing, I noticed my Oxy Clear is probably about half left. This means we've dumped 12 lbs. of Potassium Monopersulfate 45% into the pool. I mention this because after twelve hours, my pool has gone from FC of 27.5 to 25.5 and I'm still reading 1 CC. I've been above or at FC 16 (CYA/shock chart) for 4 days and I think the Oxy clear is giving me a false CC reading. Does this sound correct?
Thanks for reading my post on Thanksgiving!

pool2.jpg

It's going up the sides too. By the way these pictures are after I vacuumed this morning. The filter is off again for more settling.

pool3.jpg

Does the pool area smell like chlorine? If so, that's CC you're smelling. You're probably still killing off algae, the water isn't totally clear. The shock process can take more than a week - last summer there was some poor guy who worked hard for about three weeks before he finally passed all three tests.

But you must admit, your progress has been noticeable in just a couple days.

Stains won't disappear instantly; they didn't develop overnight, either. At the temperature you keep the pool, CSI goes up. I know, seems contrary to common sense - stuff usually dissolves in water faster if the water is warm, but that's what the pool calculator CSI box shows, and my personal experience confirms it. When the water is warm, my scale is steady, when it cools down, the scale starts dissolving. White powder could be calcium precipitate, or just dead, bleached-out algae. Once the shock process is over, try to keep pH towards the low end. If it's Calcium, it will dissolve into solution at a lower pH and the water will clear up. I have astronomical CH and yet I can drop a coin into the deep end and call heads or tails from the deck.

here's where I'm at this morning
PH 7.2
FC 21
CC .5>1
TA 110ish? My chlorine being so high, I couldn't tell when it was changing. But in the past I've only been around 70-80
CYA 22 I've dumped a lot of water in the last 2 days, so I think the refill, and clarity I'm pretty accurate.
CH- very high 500+
Two days of no pump running,(It's supposed to run 24/7) and vacuuming to waste has cleared up the water incredibly. This will be my next plan of attack if it gets cloudy again.

I don't smell any chlorine. In fact I could smell the cleaner being used in the upstairs bath. I asked one of the housekeepers (who has a pool) if she smelled chlorine and she said no.
My FC did drop from 27 to 21 in a 24 hour period, and this is without my heater running. Pool temp this morning was 80.
I'm going to keep the chlorine up until Sunday, or if I get my K-2024 suppliment today and recheck CC. then I'll let it start to drop.
To refresh my memory, it's ok to swim in the pool at these higher levels?

The stain removal will be addressed after I get the pool operational again. I have used over a case of Jacks Magic in the last 6 months.
Thanks everybody.

Here's my pump system:
pumpsystem.jpg

My pump. I don't know why it would be installed with this info toward the back. I had a little trouble reading the chart I think it's says TA60-60D.
pump1.jpg

And finally is this a heaping spoonful?

heapingtsp.jpg

Tested again this morning and I'm at FC of 19 and CC still 1. No smell, water looks great.
Waiting for my K-2024. Hoping with that other additive I will go down to CC-0
It's been 6 days of >16 FC.
Thanks for the continued advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.