We need advice about new (used pool)

Nov 17, 2012
My husband and I are brand new pool owners. We took down an Ester Williams 15 x 30 oval and had it installed in a hole we had excavated in our yard. It will be partially underground with a retaining wall holding back the soil. Here's our issue:

The man we hired to install it initially left at lunch the first day he came and never came back. After weeks of dealing with him, we finally fired him and got another guy to do it. The problem is that this made us get it in very late in the season when the weather was getting cool. My husband noticed that the pool was losing water from one week to the next. He measured the level of the water and found that it had stopped approximately 2 inches below the highest point we had filled it, so we think there may be a hole in the liner. The water was freezing, so we have siphoned some out so we could get in with some rubber boots on and try to find the leak. I cannot find it. Now the pool has sat for weeks without being filled and the temps are sometimes below freezing at night and in the high 50's in the day.

Being the newbie owners we are, we were thinking maybe since the pool was used, there was a metal chard or something that had punctured the liner and maybe we should drain the pool, unhook the liner and lower it, and put the wall foam pad behind it. This would hopefully prevent another leak. We also have a double main drain installed which could be leaking, but it stopped after losing 2 inches. A guy at Leslie's told me today that you should never leave a liner dry and never mess with it when it is cold. Now we have an empty pool with a leak we can't find. We cannot get it closed without water and we can't fill it with a leak and we can't find the leak. We are wondering if we should count this as another expensive life lesson and plan to get ANOTHER new liner in the spring and just chuck trying to get this one working. We are VERY frustrated. The liner was over $400 and we have not even been able to swim once.

After you have had a good chuckle at our stupidly crazy situation, could you please advise us if you can?

How long did it take to loose the water? Did you see any evidence of a leak (mud, puddles)?

1) If the pool does have a leak, and the water stopped dropping, the leak would be somewhere around that point.
2) You will have to replace the liner. It will never fit the same again.
3) Your installer should have taken the time to look for burs and covered/ sanded them down.
4) I would advise you to at least fill your pool half way up to help protect it through the winter (freeze/wind damage).

The pool lost about 2 inches of water. We noticed it from one week to the next, but we have no idea how long it took. We did notice a lot of water around the outside of the pool. That is what clued us in that the pool had lost water. We can put water back into the pool, but we can only fill it to the point where it leaked and that might be just about half way up. We cannot find the leak, so anything above that would only leak out.

I guess since we cannot put any more water than that in it, it would not be feasible or really even necessary to cover it?

This is very discouraging to us to have to buy another liner, but thank you for your honest reply. In the spring, when it warms up, we will replace the liner and chalk this whole experience up to a very expensive lesson on pool ownership.

I would fill it as far as you can and then winterize it normally. If you can't get a cover on it then just deal with that next year. I wouldn't give up on the liner just yet. Wait till next year and see what happens. Once it warms up next year you can find out where the leak is and see if the liner will be alright.

Thank you very much for giving us a little bit of hope that we did not waste $400 + dollars. It has been very frustrating because it seems like everyone we have asked has acted like we were totally stupid to not know what we are doing. Everyone has to be a rookie sometime.

There is no way a cover would be feasible with as much water as it will hold, so we will just put whatever water it will hold and the chemicals we bought to close it and hope for the best. Can you direct me to something online that gives good information on flushing our main drains so they don't freeze? The guy we bought the pool from said he used a type of antifreeze in them, but the guy who installed it said we only had to blow out the lines. What do you recommend?

Not knowing where you're located I can't say what might work but I'd use antifreeze if it freezes lower than the main drains are located. Just rig a way to pour antifreeze into the main drain line until you see it come out into the pool through the drains.

If you'll post your location and a pic of the pool and pad we may be able to recommend a way to blow the system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.