Cover Issues, Cover looks Melted (2nd time)

rjg202

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have an issue that I am looking for suggestions to try to address. It appears my cover melted. We took the screens out of the windows last week and low and behold this week the cover looks like someone put a fire under it. I think it is the reflection off the windows. Now I have to decide to I uncover and get another cover as well as maybe put the screens back in? Has anyone seen this before? I told the pool store last year and they thought I was crazy. I am guessing it is the windows then I guess I have to figure which ones if that is the case. It could be a neighbors too.[attachment=2:35kpefvb]cover1.jpg[/attachment:35kpefvb][attachment=1:35kpefvb]cover2.jpg[/attachment:35kpefvb][attachment=0:35kpefvb]cover3.jpg[/attachment:35kpefvb]

Attachments

• cover1.jpg
    cover1.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 142
  • cover2.jpg
    cover2.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 139
  • cover3.jpg
    cover3.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 139
This is the second time. Pool store told me impossible never heard of such a thing it must have stretched. But it is brittle like it was heated with a flame. Maybe I need to try a tan cover vs a dark green, doubt that would make a difference.

Don't know for sure, but that is melted. I had a customer who parked a hot lawn mower next to the cover and it looked exactly the same. I know it can get hot under the winter cover, maybe coupling that with a reflecting from a window. Who knows.

A window would not do this. It doesn't provide a concentrated beam of light. Think about using a magnifying glass when you were a kid to toast ants, or start fires. Can't do it with a mirror, many mirrors, converged on a single point. Yes, but not one or many at different points.
A concave window would, but not a convex or flat window. As far as bouncing light goes.

It's possible if it were a mirror, or mirrored surface. Say a window that's tinted and mirrored on the outside, then this might happen over time. But the sun moves, as its angle changes, the beam of light bouncing off the window would also change its angle. So you'd have a wide swath of these if they opposed perpendicularly the arc of its ascent and descent across the pool. Thus as the sun moved across the sky, throughout the weeks and months, it would change where the beam lands. So if this is the right angle in relation to that, IE parallel to it then yes.
Hard to explain, easier to do it visually. So hopefully that makes some sense.

I would suggest going out there at night, grab a portable spotlight and hit the windows with it. Try different angles and see if you can get it to light up. Note, you more than likely will have to get up on a ladder to match the sun's declination.
Then compare that to a star chart, Google Sky would work for this. As you can select prior dates & years to find the position of the sun and its arc as the earth rotates, among other things.

Maybe some sort of solvent was spilled on the cover?

Perhaps you could try to replicate the damage using a small test piece cut off of the cover and various solvents, such as gasoline, acetone, MEK (Methyl ethyl ketone), paint thinner etc.

Do they allow burning of leaves or garbage in your area? Any smokers live close enough that they can toss the cigarette on the cover in hopes of any water putting it out? This is the second time, was the burn mark in the same area?

Had the same burn patterns 2 years back, last winter we left the screens in and no issue. Wife took out the screens last week and I noticed this yesterday. As for a solvent, not that I am aware of, I shocked with 12.5% before closing that was it. I will see if I can find a pic tomorrow form the last time to compare. I think I have it saved somewhere. The windows are low E and slightly tinted in response to a previous post. I know before in the summer there was a spot if we stood that felt like a magnifying glass on you, but it was not on the pool. This seems to be a winter thing I guess as the sun moves in relation to the seasons. I did put the screens in this am and it was sunny, I did look for beams of light in that area but no luck.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.