New Build in Lake Nona, FL

Wow,I don't know how I missed the finale to this build. It looks very nice.

I wonder.......When I went to the pool store to buy sequestering agent after the fill water, the clerk told me:

"It's a good thing you built in the winter, because you know, you can't swim in the pool for the first three months"

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I assumed there would be a delay to allow my plaster to harder up some...... but 90 days!

Anyway have fun with it and post some action photos in the photo section

bigdav160 said:
Wow,I don't know how I missed the finale to this build. It looks very nice.
I wonder.......When I went to the pool store to buy sequestering agent after the fill water, the clerk told me:
"It's a good thing you built in the winter, because you know, you can't swim in the pool for the first three months"

Thanks. We are very happy with the result. DW just tallied it up and our total cost was almost to the penny what the low bidder gave us for turnkey - EXCEPT... that was a strip down pool and we got every bell/whistle we wanted (2 color changing LEDs, natural stone waterfall, bubbler, VS pump, full automation, SWCG, mini-pebble) - so aside from the aggravation, doing our own GC work paid off.

Can't swim it for 90 days? Any idea why? All we've added so far was sequestering agent, acid and liquid chlorine and our pool guy only suggested a few hours out of the pool for the chlorine? The plaster guy said we could walk the bottom 24 hrs after water (which was 48 hrs after application). hmmm....

Pool looks great :goodjob:
davelinde said:
Can't swim it for 90 days? Any idea why? All we've added so far was sequestering agent, acid and liquid chlorine and our pool guy only suggested a few hours out of the pool for the chlorine? The plaster guy said we could walk the bottom 24 hrs after water (which was 48 hrs after application). hmmm....
In this pool school article, not swimming for in the pool for 30 days is recommended during the break in period. And here is a thread that discusses some reasons: http://www.troublefreepool.com/so-why-no-swimming-during-plaster-break-in-period-t13968.html

linen said:
davelinde said:
Can't swim it for 90 days? Any idea why?
not swimming for in the pool for 30 days is recommended

Yep we had the 30 day interval mentioned for things like salt and a pool vac. A no swim interval was not mentioned.
Our startup was a big dose of acid and two bottles of sequestering agent when the water hit the tiles. Then a gallon of acid every 4 days starting on day 3. Start liquid chlorine on day 7. Our water tends to the acidic and has basically 0 alkalinity at the moment.
The measured number that makes the water uncomfy would be the TIDF* of 69 - any swimming done so far has been limited to wading on the sun shelf or a quick jump in climb out.

The one startup oops I hope I caught in time was the return jets on the swim shelf. We have two jets that were running and I noticed you could see a color variation in the shape of a V where the jet hit the floor of the pool. Once I noticed that we turned those jets off and the the color variation is fading to imperceptible now. Glad I saw it.

*Temperature in Degrees Fahrenheit

YIPPEEE - about 100 days after we started we have finally gotten final inspections passed and the pool permit closed.
Saturday we had the solar installed and after a few cloudy days we are finally at 80 degrees water temp.

Here are a couple of exterior "after" shots to match up with the second and third "before" pictures at the top of this thread. Assuming we get through the new plaster startup OK (looks good so far) and track down a slow leak (grrrrr....) I will claim success and say that being our own pool general contractor worked out OK.

The pool extends 7 feet under the porch, with a 12x22 area under the screen enclosure. The covered sun shelf was DW's idea and I must admit it is a winner - for our goals I think this pool turned out perfectly. Thanks all here for the advice and encouragement we needed to try doing this ourselves. Next up is figuring out how to maintain and repair this thing!

[attachment=1:3k2vcb5r]rear_pool.jpg[/attachment:3k2vcb5r]

[attachment=0:3k2vcb5r]side_pool.jpg[/attachment:3k2vcb5r]

Attachments

• rear_pool.jpg
    rear_pool.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 92
  • side_pool.jpg
    side_pool.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 92
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.