Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Variable Speed Pump help

1. Back To Top    #1

Variable Speed Pump help

My old pump kicked the bucket so I'm thinking it's a good time to upgrade to a variable speed pump. I live in CA, so the electricity rates are high and there is a rebate on variable speed pumps until the end of the year. I've been trying to research, but can't find a lot of imformation on the best pumps. I apologize if this has been covered in previous posts.

I currently have an older aqualink RS one touch system and a whisperflo pump. I would need to upgrade the aualink to iaqualink. What are the best variable speed pumps for:

compatability with the iaqualink
    ease of installation (limiting re-piping)

Thanks in advace for the help.
    18K gunite pebble tec pool with spa. Pentair VS, iAqualink RS16, DE filter, Hayward SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sacramento, California

Re: Variable Speed Pump help

For compatibility with the iAqualink system your best bet is going to be a Jandy VS FloPro. For reliability, maintainability and ease of installation your best bet would be a Pentair IntelliFlo. If it were me I'd go with the IntelliFlo but that's just my personal preference.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response.

I was originally leaning toward the Intelliflo VF, but after reading more of the posts on this wonderful forum, I'm considering just replacing my broken 1 1/2 Hp single speed motor with a two speed motor. That would be easier getting by the budget commitee.

So the question on the 2 speed motor is how do i control it with the aqualink? I have an older version without 2 speed motor control. Can i just use two relays, one for low speed and one for high?
    18K gunite pebble tec pool with spa. Pentair VS, iAqualink RS16, DE filter, Hayward SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

For an easier installation you would want to use a 2-speed relay for your low speed, connected to Aux 2, with dip switch S1 #2 in the ON position. This will guarantee that you will not run into any problems.