New Construction in Atlanta metro

Sciz Milson

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 13, 2012
Hi TFP'ers - Sciz Milson here - did a quick introduction on the "Introduce Yourself" board earlier in the week - thanks for the nice welcome. In brief, the girl and I have signed the contract and the dig date is scheduled for January 4. This will be perfect timing for landscaping installation with an estimated construction period of 6 - 8 weeks. At this point the trees are out and the yard is an unmitigated disaster.

I have a couple of questions:

1. The girl and I are going back and forth on the SWCG. From everything I've read here, an SWCG is no more than a delivery device for chlorine (let's forget the benefit of the "saltwater feel" for a moment). I consider myself to be a "maintenance guru", meaning that I am perfectly happy to do what it takes to maintain the pool each day and I have the time and patience. I don't really feel I need a $1,400 add-on to help me with the chemistry. Am I just being cheap or am I missing a real benefit to having the SWCG. Thoughts?

2. I am agonizing a bit over the pool finish. As of right now we are leaning towards Pebble-Tec's Caribbean Blue. When I look at images of the PTCB online, I see some pictures that are a little more murky than what I am looking for and some that really nail the water color. The PT website isn't really any help either. Does anyone out there have any experience with the Caribbean Blue? We are looking for a crisp blue - if that makes sense.

Looking forward to posting pictures of the installation start to finish. When I get some time, I'll provide some baseline photos of the backyard, tree removal and current state.

I look forward to your thoughts, comments, concerns and participation.

Best,

Sciz Milson

Re: the SWG, generally the costs to buy and run an SWG or buy and add bleach come pretty close. So, thinking of it as a $1,400 convenience isn't quite right. You won't have to buy any chlorine. I wouldn't be without one, but to each their own! I'm lazy...I don't want to add chlorine each day. You might :crazy: :mrgreen:

Colors are tough...the best thing is to see if you can go look at some pools with the color you're considering. Perhaps your builder can refer you some of their former customers with that finish.

Hello everyone.

Finally I've been able to get myself out of my technological funk and find a way to post some pictures (I hope). We broke ground on our IG pool on January 4. That first day the PB completed the layout, excavation and trenching into the "pump house". Of course we had to hit some high water table so for a while I had a submersible pump going 24/7. As of today we have a pool, coping, tile and pavers. I am pushing off the interior pebble finish until I get the balance of the final grading and fence installed. I will take some additional photos and post to a subsequent update. The pictures are from initial site clearing (6 trees) to coping. The pavers are in but the pictures are on a different camera. let me know if anyone has any questions. (Sorry for the picture quality).

Attachments

• SM01.JPG
    SM01.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 202
  • SM02.JPG
    SM02.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 202
  • SM03.JPG
    SM03.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 202

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am pretty happy with the tile too, especially since it wasn't an upgrade. I ordered the Dupont Stone Tech Sealer yesterday to finish the stone coping - I'll provide a review of the product after I do the finish. More to come...

Well here in Georgia we do get enough cool days to merit a fire in the fireplace from time to time, so we use the wood for that. As far as a smoker, I am the proud owner of a Bradley Smoker. Works like a champ everytime. More pics on the way.

I hear ya on the leaves/needles/etc. Cramar - I had 6 trees taken out (5 pines and 1 hardwood). I've been begging for sun in the backyard for 8 years - now I'm going to get plenty. Received my umbrellas today from Amazon. They are the ones with the tilting mechanism - I intend to place sleeves in the landscaped areas to allow me to customize my daily sun exposure. Attached are some more pics from today. They completed the grading of the excavation soil this morning. Still have 2 truckloads of topsoil coming in, along with tilling, hand raking, seed, etc. If I'm lucky I'll time the seed just right for the spring growing season. I also included a few detail pictures. The pavers are Belgard Country Blend. I ordered my Dupont Stonetech Salt Water Resistant Sealer yesterday - I'll give a review on that after application. The picture of the house is looking at the "storage area" under my concrete porch - that's the location of the pumping station. Also included are the "start-up" chemicals brought in by the PB. Fence contract was signed this morning and that should be about 7-10 days - then final grading and landscaping and then the PB can get in there and do the interior finish. As you can see I've already put a table with some chairs down there - I'm getting a bit anxious...Comments/questions/complaints are welcome.

Best,

Sciz

Attachments

• SM30.JPG
    SM30.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 130
  • SM29.JPG
    SM29.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 131
  • SM28.JPG
    SM28.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 131
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.