Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are my motors dead?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are my motors dead?

I've got a Hayward RS2000 pump for the pool and a Polaris Booster Pump. I had electrical issues that my buddy was able to help me track down to a horribly wired electrical box that has a bad short. We bypassed everything in the electric box only leaving the pumps on the line for power. I thought my two timer boxes were broken due to the previous short, so without even testing the motors by bypassing the timers I bought new timers. Got them installed and both motors will not turn on. I've verified I'm getting power all the way to the motors, but don't know if I've killed the motors or if there is some sort of fuse within the motors. Both motors are wired for 240 volts. I can't find a fuse on either of them and fear I'm going to have to purchase new ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are my motors dead?

do the motors make any sounds when trying to start? Like a hum?

There are no fuses per-se in the motor. There are thermal cut-outs but they're self resetting so that's not the problem. Are you familiar with using an ohm meter? If so then you should be able to check the windings for an open.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Also depending on the motor there may be a 120V/240V switch. Pictures?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Bama Rambler
    I do not hear a hum, but I also haven't gotten real close to check for that. I'll check that in the morning. I have an ohm meter, but sadly I don't know how to use it. I'll ask my buddy to show how to use it.

bobodaclown
    I believe one or both of the motors has a 120V/240V switch, but unless the short flipped that, they should still be set to 240V.

I was mainly posting to find out if there is a fuse I couldn't find on the motors. My hope is that I was/am missing something because both motors are not working. I would feel more confident that one motor is dead if one of the two would worked. Can take pictures in the morning if you think it would help.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by toph
    Bama Rambler
    I do not hear a hum, but I also haven't gotten real close to check for that. I'll check that in the morning. I have an ohm meter, but sadly I don't know how to use it. I'll ask my buddy to show how to use it.
    [youtube:22l9jktp]bF3OyQ3HwfU[/youtube:22l9jktp]

EDIT - I looked at those first youtube's I posted - they sucked.
    Try this new one.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

IF the motor was humming loudly this test/fix would be what would be the first recommendation:

[youtube:3biynyq5]k-cVgpz7GYQ[/youtube:3biynyq5]

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    Quote Originally Posted by toph
    Bama Rambler
    [youtube:3tsgt4di]bF3OyQ3HwfU[/youtube:3tsgt4di]

EDIT - I looked at those first youtube's I posted - they sucked.
    Try this new one.

That one is not bad, but I take umbrage with him discounting analog meters. I can kick an analog meter and tell you how many it is to an open in a wire. You are not going to be able to do that with a DMM. Same goes for any sort of fluctuating reading, analog will tell you a lot more. But yeah, for general purposes a DMM is just fine and that video is pretty good.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by phonedave
    That one is not bad, but I take umbrage with him discounting analog meters. I can kick an analog meter and tell you how many it is to an open in a wire. You are not going to be able to do that with a DMM. Same goes for any sort of fluctuating reading, analog will tell you a lot more. But yeah, for general purposes a DMM is just fine and that video is pretty good.

-dave
    I agree - I have both types of meters and they each have their purpose. The general advice that most people should not buy an analog meter as their first choice is probably sound - but they aren't junk. In fact it is probably easier to test a capaciter for basic function using an analog meter...

9. Back To Top    #9

Big thank you for the help y'all. The videos are great and my buddy also gave me a quick tutorial. He's on the other side of my cube wall. I'll post my results.

10. Back To Top    #10

Happy to help.

11. Back To Top    #11

Well I've been putting off the troubleshooting of this motor problem. I finally pulled the capacitor and it looks like it works, see photo of silver capacitor and multimeter. I pulled the back off the motor and found another capacitor (black). It has three wires attached with a total of four possible connections. Not sure how I go about testing this one. I won't lie capacitors scare me. So, with that I really want advise before I go testing different connections on this capacitor with my multimeter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Back To Top    #12

It looks to me like the two yellow wires attach to a single clip box tab type connector. First take the multimeter in continuity mode and check to see if the two yellow wires are connected - I think they are. Then test just like you did the first one - using the terminal with the white wire as one side and the terminal with the two yellow wires as the other side.

That's all there is to it. Any precautions and draining you did on the silver one will be applicable to the black one. If you want to drain the cap more slowly get a large wattage resistor rather than a screw driver to tie the two sides of the capacitor together and drain the current out.

13. Back To Top    #13

Yep the yellow wires were attached to a single clip box tab. So I tested the capacitor and it looks like it is working. Is there any way I can test the motor or does this mean my motor is pretty much dead?

14. Back To Top    #14

Could also be the contacts on the centrifugal switch. Try cleaning them.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater