Pepple or Quartz

fab68

Sep 4, 2012
Mcallen, Texas
My pool is about three months old and because there was an issue with grey color coming from under the plaster they have agreed to replaster. My builder told me that the only condition is that I have to upgrade to pepple or quartz. What should I go for?

Thanks

Which ever you prefer the look of. I think both are upgrades from the plaster, but you make this sound like a bait and switch situation. Are you having to pay more? You should certainly be able to have them repair it at no cost if so desired.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
Which ever you prefer the look of. I think both are upgrades from the plaster, but you make this sound like a bait and switch situation. Are you having to pay more? You should certainly be able to have them repair it at no cost if so desired.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Well.... we have gone around for two months and the final outcome was that they took ownership of the plaster not looking right. They told me the water quality contributed to the deterioration. In order to avoid issues they do not want to plaster in white instead they will add color. I was promised to only be charge for the cost of the pepple or quartz t cost. I will post the price.
Thanks

What sort of water quality problems? What did they say you did or did not do incorrectly, or correctly?

If this was finished only 3mo. ago and you have been going round and round for 2mo. Then it sounds like the plaster quality issue happened within the 1st month. Correct?

Shouldn't the PB have been performing and monitoring startup procedures of the new plaster during this time? Which they usually do for this very reason, to avoid warranty issues early on while the plaster is in its initial curing stage.

Just seems fishy to me.

y_not said:
What sort of water quality problems? What did they say you did or did not do incorrectly, or correctly?

They are maintaining the pool on a bi weekly basis. We have CYA and one other parameter that I cant remember, very high constantly

If this was finished only 3mo. ago and you have been going round and round for 2mo. Then it sounds like the plaster quality issue happened within the 1st month. Correct?

Yes, Started the second month, I posted on the under construction and the subject is "need your help with plaster issue". I included pictures.

Shouldn't the PB have been performing and monitoring startup procedures of the new plaster during this time? Which they usually do for this very reason, to avoid warranty issues early on while the plaster is in its initial curing stage.

Yes they are coming out bi weekly and were in charge of the pool for the first 45 days on a weekly basis. They performed one auto drain and I have been on top on the balancing. They are very receptive so far but they are saying that they have the same procedure on every pool and this not normal. Other than the color spots on my white plaster the pool is fine. They are requesting that I upgrade to color on the plaster to avoid any issues with the variations in the plaster. They are afraid I will not be happy with white plaster even if we replaster. This company is reputable and serious from all individuals I interviewed.

Just seems fishy to me.

I just read your other thread.
Even though I'm no expert with plaster, I do have a ton of customer service, business and people person experience and skills.
What I have gleaned from our wonderful and ever so helpful TFP experts in your other thread, is as follows.

I really feel you are getting jipped on this whole thing.
Why, when the PB goofed up, or their crew, whatever. Should you have to pay for another finish "upgrade" at your expense?
What, because they're implying that they don't trust you'll be happy with it?
That's preposterous!!
This basically means that the PB finds what your pool surface turned out as, is an acceptable end product of his plaster jobs.
Thus, he feels, to himself, that if he re-plasters your pool with the same finish as before. That there's going to be no change in the end, as you'll have the same complaint. The PB has no confidence in his/her end product or the ability to make "you" happy.
Rhetorically... Why, are your requests out of line, can he/she not deliver on the end product??

You should be able to get "the finish" YOU PAYED FOR in the 1st place and they should do it at no cost to you. PERIOD!
You shouldn't have to upgrade, you shouldn't have to compromise. You shouldn't have to fork out more money for their mistake. I'm sorry, but in my book and my nearly 20 years of business experience, dealing with large corporations, government, small businesses and all the way down to consumers. I feel that's bad business and it's just not right.

Now of course, if you told the PB in the 1st place to go with some el' cheap'o plaster product and a cut rate crew fresh out of school. Then yeah, it's your fault for going so cheap and expecting this fabulous, high quality product. But that's not the case.

What your PB is offering you, to me, is like a painter being hired to paint the outside of your house. When the painter completes the job, the paint begins to peel and flake in the elements over the course of the next year, as the seasons change.
The painter comes back and says that's your fault for having not purchased a good enough quality paint. When in fact, you paid for and made sure you were getting a long lasting, quality paint. Or better yet, oh, that color does that. *Then why do you sell it?? o_O
But in fact, what happened is that the painter cut corners and failed to properly prep the underlying surface before doing paint & primer. So it was destined to fail!! Even if the painter had plastered it with a marine epoxy paint that dries with a bullet proof gloss finish. It still would have failed!!

I know there's a bit more to plastering than painting. But I think my analogy still holds weight to your situation.

I can say that I have been in these sorts of situations before, more times than I care to count. Sometimes I think that everything mechanical, electro-mechanical or physical in any nature simply sees me from a mile away and knows that I'm a tech. Thus it thinks it's automatically OK to pick me as the one it breaks on. GRRR lol
I know from dealing with companies on defective things, whether a product, service, or what not. That you have rights and those companies will attempt to downplay them, or try to convince you to go with the option that's best for them and their bottom dollar. Not for you and your hard earned money, desiring and expecting a functional end product that you paid for.
You have to seriously stand your ground and put your foot down when necessary.

I do like you philosophy of effectively catching more flies with honey than vinegar. That is so true in life, almost even more so when doing any sort of business transaction, monetary aside.
But if you're all nice and sweet, it'll get you so far and with some, not far enough. So then you have to turn up the heat as necessary, not being mean, irate or out of line. But simply enforcing your rights and making sure they stick to it.
Basically restrict their honey, maybe dribble in a little vinegar into the bait. Just enough that they won't really notice. HEHE ;)

I understand that they seem to be a reputable company. But things happen, crews change, people get too busy to give the proper attention needed to the job, sidetracked with other things, life, personal, etc... Or have a vendor snafu causing a quality control QC issue and so on.
I have seen long term #1 A+++ businesses go to an F- like an Indy race car crashing on race day. It's not pretty!

Unless you have just really said to yourself.
Self... "I think I really wanted a quartz finish in the 1st place, but couldn't justify it. Now I think I will do it."
Well super!! Then you came out in the end, especially if you negotiate them down to material cost, instead of "cost difference plus markup" in materials.

But, if what it sounds like is that you really like that white finish. Stand your ground, don't let them push you around.
Get it fixed and get it done right.
Tell them that the industry has been doing plaster pools since... I don't know. Ask these guys how long. Did the Romans invent this??
A proper plaster job will look white and be durable and last for many years to come. About 15-20 seems to be the consensus on here.
State that this is not outside the acceptable limits of plastering. State that you wish to have a proper and correct plaster job done. If they can't do that, or it comes out poorly. Then tell them that at their expense, you will send a sample off to get analyzed.
If it is determined that it was an improper plaster job, then they either need to figure out how to make it right, or they need to hire someone to do it that knows how. *I would suggest the latter, especially if they re-do it and it's still not right.
I'd get a sample, 2 actually, before they break it up to re-do it. So you have a comparison to go back to if need be.

I don't really think any of that concept is overly out of line and it's what I would try to embark on. I wanted that nice, quality, smooth paint job on my house and I'm going to get it! Gosh golly!! One way or another! LOL
But ultimately, it's totally up to you as to how much you want to fight this and how far you want to go.

If you do decide to go at this and you hit more walls. There are legal avenues that you can take. They work quite well, many are free, some are less than you'd spend on dinner for a family of 3 at an affordable restaurant. Not exactly bank breakers and huge peace of mind, things that ultimately force them into correcting it.
Usually all but avoiding any sort of ugly, long, drawn out legal battle. :)

If you want info on your options there when the time comes, re-visit this thread and ask. I'll see it and chime in.

Either way, I myself and everyone here. We're all here to help you and support you in whatever your decision, your pool needs and questions going forth. We're like one big pool loving family. :cheers:

No dice. Your builder should pay for the upgrade. Period. They're gonna screw you, promise.

If your goal is to keep the peace (which I tooootally understand), please remember that you've already paid for the applied product and the labor so you shold only have to pay the difference in the new product, if anything (read: hundreds, not thousands).

Afterthought - if they can't apply plaster properly then I would be hesitant to let them apply quartz or pebble, which, I believe, is more of a challenge to work with.

Buena suerte.

y_not said:
I just read your other thread.
Even though I'm no expert with plaster, I do have a ton of customer service, business and people person experience and skills.
What I have gleaned from our wonderful and ever so helpful TFP experts in your other thread, is as follows.

I really feel you are getting jipped on this whole thing.
Why, when the PB goofed up, or their crew, whatever. Should you have to pay for another finish "upgrade" at your expense?
What, because they're implying that they don't trust you'll be happy with it?
That's preposterous!!
This basically means that the PB finds what your pool surface turned out as, is an acceptable end product of his plaster jobs.
Thus, he feels, to himself, that if he re-plasters your pool with the same finish as before. That there's going to be no change in the end, as you'll have the same complaint. The PB has no confidence in his/her end product or the ability to make "you" happy.
Rhetorically... Why, are your requests out of line, can he/she not deliver on the end product??

You should be able to get "the finish" YOU PAYED FOR in the 1st place and they should do it at no cost to you. PERIOD!
You shouldn't have to upgrade, you shouldn't have to compromise. You shouldn't have to fork out more money for their mistake. I'm sorry, but in my book and my nearly 20 years of business experience, dealing with large corporations, government, small businesses and all the way down to consumers. I feel that's bad business and it's just not right.

Now of course, if you told the PB in the 1st place to go with some el' cheap'o plaster product and a cut rate crew fresh out of school. Then yeah, it's your fault for going so cheap and expecting this fabulous, high quality product. But that's not the case.

What your PB is offering you, to me, is like a painter being hired to paint the outside of your house. When the painter completes the job, the paint begins to peel and flake in the elements over the course of the next year, as the seasons change.
The painter comes back and says that's your fault for having not purchased a good enough quality paint. When in fact, you paid for and made sure you were getting a long lasting, quality paint. Or better yet, oh, that color does that. *Then why do you sell it?? o_O
But in fact, what happened is that the painter cut corners and failed to properly prep the underlying surface before doing paint & primer. So it was destined to fail!! Even if the painter had plastered it with a marine epoxy paint that dries with a bullet proof gloss finish. It still would have failed!!

I know there's a bit more to plastering than painting. But I think my analogy still holds weight to your situation.

I can say that I have been in these sorts of situations before, more times than I care to count. Sometimes I think that everything mechanical, electro-mechanical or physical in any nature simply sees me from a mile away and knows that I'm a tech. Thus it thinks it's automatically OK to pick me as the one it breaks on. GRRR lol
I know from dealing with companies on defective things, whether a product, service, or what not. That you have rights and those companies will attempt to downplay them, or try to convince you to go with the option that's best for them and their bottom dollar. Not for you and your hard earned money, desiring and expecting a functional end product that you paid for.
You have to seriously stand your ground and put your foot down when necessary.

I do like you philosophy of effectively catching more flies with honey than vinegar. That is so true in life, almost even more so when doing any sort of business transaction, monetary aside.
But if you're all nice and sweet, it'll get you so far and with some, not far enough. So then you have to turn up the heat as necessary, not being mean, irate or out of line. But simply enforcing your rights and making sure they stick to it.
Basically restrict their honey, maybe dribble in a little vinegar into the bait. Just enough that they won't really notice. HEHE ;)

I understand that they seem to be a reputable company. But things happen, crews change, people get too busy to give the proper attention needed to the job, sidetracked with other things, life, personal, etc... Or have a vendor snafu causing a quality control QC issue and so on.
I have seen long term #1 A+++ businesses go to an F- like an Indy race car crashing on race day. It's not pretty!

Unless you have just really said to yourself.
Self... "I think I really wanted a quartz finish in the 1st place, but couldn't justify it. Now I think I will do it."
Well super!! Then you came out in the end, especially if you negotiate them down to material cost, instead of "cost difference plus markup" in materials.

But, if what it sounds like is that you really like that white finish. Stand your ground, don't let them push you around.
Get it fixed and get it done right.
Tell them that the industry has been doing plaster pools since... I don't know. Ask these guys how long. Did the Romans invent this??
A proper plaster job will look white and be durable and last for many years to come. About 15-20 seems to be the consensus on here.
State that this is not outside the acceptable limits of plastering. State that you wish to have a proper and correct plaster job done. If they can't do that, or it comes out poorly. Then tell them that at their expense, you will send a sample off to get analyzed.
If it is determined that it was an improper plaster job, then they either need to figure out how to make it right, or they need to hire someone to do it that knows how. *I would suggest the latter, especially if they re-do it and it's still not right.
I'd get a sample, 2 actually, before they break it up to re-do it. So you have a comparison to go back to if need be.

I don't really think any of that concept is overly out of line and it's what I would try to embark on. I wanted that nice, quality, smooth paint job on my house and I'm going to get it! Gosh golly!! One way or another! LOL
But ultimately, it's totally up to you as to how much you want to fight this and how far you want to go.

If you do decide to go at this and you hit more walls. There are legal avenues that you can take. They work quite well, many are free, some are less than you'd spend on dinner for a family of 3 at an affordable restaurant. Not exactly bank breakers and huge peace of mind, things that ultimately force them into correcting it.
Usually all but avoiding any sort of ugly, long, drawn out legal battle. :)

If you want info on your options there when the time comes, re-visit this thread and ask. I'll see it and chime in.

Either way, I myself and everyone here. We're all here to help you and support you in whatever your decision, your pool needs and questions going forth. We're like one big pool loving family. :cheers:

Thank you for the feedback.This has been frustrating and you and other on this forum have kept me optimistic . I really appreciate the guidance. I believe I should not pay but the pool builder tells me that he can not absorb the replaster job and pepple. They are quoting $2,900 for pepple. This seems extreme.

savela said:
No dice. Your builder should pay for the upgrade. Period. They're gonna screw you, promise.

If your goal is to keep the peace (which I tooootally understand), please remember that you've already paid for the applied product and the labor so you shold only have to pay the difference in the new product, if anything (read: hundreds, not thousands).

Afterthought - if they can't apply plaster properly then I would be hesitant to let them apply quartz or pebble, which, I believe, is more of a challenge to work with.

Buena suerte.

:) Gracias.
His concern is that down in the Rio Grande Valley water is extremely high in minerals. They do good work but sub contract the plaster application. I requested to see the pepple in other pools. He is quoting me $2,900 for peeple from regular upgrade price of $5,800.

I don't think the upgrade price is unreasonable if you were making that choice up front but it seems your hand is being forced. I've drunk the water in Mcallen - it's pretty tasty and not much different than say Laredo or even Corpus. Plaster pools have been around for decades and blaming the water seems like a bunch of bull. On the other hand, if they can't make the plaster look good, for whatever reason, forcing them to do so will likely cost you more in the long run...unless you get a bid from another builder and have your builder refund you...this obviously makes things difficult.

So, fight or keep the peace??? My vote would be for peace...

If you can afford it and you would be happy with the pebble, tell him you can only afford x - whatever is good for you....but YOU decide, not him, you'll sleep better at night. And document, document document. Pictures, emails, phonecalls texts...everything....just in case you eventually decide to fight. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
savela said:
On the other hand, if they can't make the plaster look good, for whatever reason, forcing them to do so will likely cost you more in the long run...

Here, you're saying to go for the Pebble Tech it seems.
savela said:
If you can afford it and you would be happy with the pebble, tell him you can only afford x...

In the following quote from your 2nd to last post, you make a very good point! One of which I fully agree with and incidentally reiterating what I also wrote about in my prior post.
However, it is contradictory to the above statements I quoted from your most recent post.
savela said:

Ultimately I'm just confused as to what your opinion is on this situation and thus your recommendation as directed toward the OP.

Are you saying to keep the peace, pay the money and go forward with the more complex re-plaster job? Using the same plaster crew that was subcontracted by the PB. In spite of the fact that they have produced a flawed end product, leaving question as to their abilities and skill of their craft?

fab68 said:
His concern is that down in the Rio Grande Valley water is extremely high in minerals. They do good work but sub contract the plaster application. I requested to see the pepple in other pools. He is quoting me $2,900 for peeple from regular upgrade price of $5,800.
fab68 said:
Thank you for the feedback.This has been frustrating and you and other on this forum have kept me optimistic . I really appreciate the guidance. I believe I should not pay but the pool builder tells me that he can not absorb the replaster job and pepple. They are quoting $2,900 for pepple. This seems extreme.

I would review your contract, look for any sort of information as to a quality guarantee, warranty of end product, etc...
I would assume your PB is local, has built other plaster pools in your area and applied a plaster finish successfully. So surely he/she must know the climate and water of your particular area. Thus knowing ahead of time that the water is "high in minerals" and how to deal with this. Assuming it's really a problem, which is doubtful.
If this is the case and the PB is blaming this as the cause of your problems. I would question as to why the PB has been able to perform plaster finishes on other pools in the area, with this so called "bad water" and have them turn out fine. But why the PB couldn't and doesn't think he/she can with yours due to said "bad water". Why?

Or, if your PB hasn't done other plaster pools in your area, specifically because of this issue. Thus preventing a proper end quality finish. Then I would ask as to why you were sold a plaster finish in the 1st place? One which he/she "knew" wouldn't turn out right due to the "minerals" issue in the water that the PB professes is a problem for the plaster in your pool.

Seems fishy!

I would go post your situation along with the state that you live in, to the following, very reputable, helpful and free legal advice website. Answers of which are contributed by actual lawyers that practice in various states. A lawyer that knows your state's specific laws, beyond just federal law as it pertains to you, will answer your question. Then others may chime in with additional information as it pertains to federal law and your specific situation.
This way you can get an idea as to how to proceed. Since you're dealing with a contractor, this is a little different than an actual tangible, store purchased or ordered mass produced product. Of which, as I stated before, I know many methods and avenues to follow so you can resolve a grievance typically with a large corporation. But this is out of my league, on a legal level. Small businesses, contractors and the like are a whole different thing and have to be handled as such.
Note, I'm not a lawyer, just a citizen and business man that know what our basic rights are in this country with products, goods and services.

Here's the legal advice website. http://www.avvo.com

Here are some links I pulled off of there in regards to defective pools.
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
They aren't your exact situation, but there's a lot of good info amongst those 4 posts.

You can also call the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) for advice on the matter. I'm not sure if they handle contracted products, but they handle many other "non tangible goods" products.
They'll likely tell you to call the BBB. But in my experience, this never resolves a thing. The BBB is just a data collector, to build information on a company that's doing wrong. They also attempt to mediate grievances, but seldom with a just outcome to the consumer. So just skip that!!

The FTC's number is: 877-382-4357
Note, they often will not get directly involved, at least they make it seem that way. But instead, what they will do after telling you this, is go talk to the business and exercise their power and weight of the law.
The business will then in turn, contact you and offer their new terms. Neither party will state any knowledge of contact by the other.
So wait a few days or a week and see if the PB calls you. If he/she doesn't, then call him/her and feel them out. See if they change their mind.
If not, continue with other legal proceedings.

It really doesn't have to get ugly if you do it right. Yeah, the PB will likely get a bit steamed, but he/she('ll) get over it. Besides, that's what he/she has business and contractor's insurance for. To fall back on when something goes wrong, like this and he/she has to eat the cost of it. But ultimately your rights are what's at stake here, not letting this business get away with anything they shouldn't. Especially, but not only, when this much money is involved.

Yea. I know. Sounds like a bad situation. Most would agree, fight. However, it's easy for us to say do this do that. The OP is the one that shoulders the burden. If he fights, the pool stays as is for likely years...I put myself in the OPs position and ultimately gave an opinion based on what I would do in a similar situation. I would gamble, pay and move on. That's all.

And yes he/she is ultimately at the losing end of this one, no matter how you slice it. The hope now is that they in fact can properly apply the more complex surface. The OP's request to see other pools they have done should help answer that question, to a certain extent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.