Adding CYA

Oct 23, 2012
I am in the process of having my pool installed. A 22300 inground pool. My main source of chlorine will be through a SWG. My question is in regards to starting up my pool to get ready to close it. I am assuming I will be balancing my water and potentially shocking, just to close it for the winter. In doing so, how do I go about adding CYA for the first time. I have a T100 test kit, have tested the hose water that I will be using to fill the pool (starting this weekend), and CYA tests as 0. I have read through pool school and see how first level to set is my CYA to 70 - 80. In using the pool calculator I need to add 200+ oz of CYA. Reading the material on here I see how it states to add this to the skimmer with a sock. How does one fit 13 pounds of CYA into a sock? DO i add as much as I can into 1 dose, leave until is dissolves, then continue adding until i reach my target? Iamb sorry if this is a dumb question, but want to get my pool running right the first time as to not have to try to correct something in that went wrong in the future.

Welcome to TFP! If you are going to close the pool and not run the SWG until next year, you can wait until next year to add CYA or perhaps just raise it to 30ppm for now and maintain FC with liquid chlorine before closing. You will likely need to adjust the CYA level in the spring anyway as CYA levels tend to fall in offseason from rain/snow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.