Painted pool safety question...

spigot

Nov 14, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Recently purchased a home with an in-ground pool and after a few months the painted surface of the pool is starting to rub off. This happens when you touch the wall or when you brush the wall. It leaves a powdery residue on your hands and it looks like a fine silt when brushed.

My wife is now against swimming in the pool until we figure out if this loose paint is harmful. We have no idea what type of paint was used. Is there a online source that can test water to determine if it's safe to swim in? (I'm assuming that it's going to get in my eyes and I'm sure I'll ingest a small amount of water)

We know that we are going to be re-plastering the pool once we have saved up but I wanted to use the pool in the mean time.

Thanks,
Matt

1) The size of your pool in gallons [No idea yet will calculate after taking measurements]
2) The type filter [cartridge]
3) IG (in ground)
4) painted Plaster
5) If you know, tell us the size pump and the size (flow rate) of your filter. [will investigate]

Paint has a tendency to chalk and is usually safe even when doing so. It could also be calcium scale but without test results it's impossible to know.

Even if it is paint, unless you know for sure what was used to paint it and how long ago it was, you don't know how safe or unsafe it is.

Chances are it is standard pool paint and is perfectly safe. I would keep brushing and see if you could get it to stop dusting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.