Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Zinsser Pool Paint

1. Back To Top    #1

Zinsser Pool Paint

I'm a new owner of an old pool and am considering repainting. Here's a link to one of the paints I'm considering, can anyone tell me if this is an appropriate for an old concrete with stainless panels on the top, numerous past repairs in the concrete, that is currently covered with epoxy paint? I really appreciate the help!
    32000 gallon, 30 yr + old IG Concrete with Stainless Steel Panels, Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Zinsser Pool Paint

Well, regardless of the link, it will be difficult to get a long lasting job worth much using ANY kind of paint. Especially over old paint, you just can't expect much (maybe a year or two) of a long term fix.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you considered converting to a vinyl liner pool? May be another option to consider.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

I say no. Have owned my 50-yr-old concrete pool with laminated porcelain steel sides for 37 years--and yeah--paint don't last. Can definitely say no to Rumac rubber-base, Ultra-Poly One Coat, and Ultra-Guard. Only luck I've had is using Olympic's Zeron and Gunzite primer. But you're gonna have to grind off the previous paint, which trust me, is a real pain. I just spent 105 hours this summer grinding off bad paint. Trouble with Zeron is the prep work, it is very tedious. But good luck in what you try. Don't know anything about the paints you listed, but if they're not 2-part epoxy paints, they just won't last long.