The Pool Cleaner two wheel model Review

multifuel

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 3, 2012
Treasure Coast FL
I intend to review this cleaner several times at regular intervals.

My history- bought my pool home in June '03, told my wife pick out any house she wanted within our budget with one condition, MAKE SURE IT HAS A POOL!
I love swimming and never had a pool, so this was a big deal for me. we found a lovely home with a pool built by a reputable PB from our area and it was only 4 years old.

Pool came with a Baracuda Alpha and I was very satisfied with it. I had to replace diaphragm at least twice a year but ran it every day of the year usually, so no biggie. eventually the body broke and I replaced with a X7 quattro. MAJOR step backwards. The vacuum was terrible, had trouble from 1st day, got stuck alot on my nicely radius'd steps (thanks for noticing -wink!), would go through the foot pad and disk every year on my relatively smooth diamondbrite that the alpha would not.
After exactly 3 years and 1 month i came home to find it stuck again in the steps and the "engine" was in pieces. This 500 dollar vacuum needed a 200+ dollar part to repair. I knew I had to let it go and look to the future. I was purchasing an baracuda G2, which is an alpha, which gave us years of faithful and reliable service. That is when i heard about "The Pool Cleaner", andd incidentally where i discovered this very useful site.

I did some research, read everything i could here and online and decided for the extra 90 bucks to buy the pool cleaner. It came last Friday, I set it up Saturday.

OK- now the good stuff, the initial review!
Packaged well and took less than 5 minutes to get out and into pool. Instructions were not complicated and off i went.

In the pool- once in the pool and after i had the suction dialed in to a 12.2 rpm set up, which is the ideal speed they say, the cleaner was not performing well. I had to adjust the weight closer to the body to get the right balance. Once that was dialed in it ran very well and quiet, which is strange for me after the 2 baracuda's; they are noisy if you have never heard one.
The cleaner does not climb the walls very much so far, I called the company ( great service by the way, very patient talking to me); they said it can climb to water line if the wheel bumps are removed. These are little raised bumps on each of the two wheels to allow it to go over any obstacles if it gets stuck however they also lift the bottom thus breaking the suction. I was told I could cut these off by the rep if I wanted the wall climbing, i decided I do not need that, it goes up the wall perhaps a foot and if i need the walls cleaned that badly i am a poor excuse of a pool owner!

I have nothing bad to say so far- it performs well, sucks up everything and is silky smooth and quiet, which is nice after the loud baracuda's pulsing away and creating the sonic booms! At this early juncture i would recommend without hesitation. :goodjob: Hope I didn't ramble too much for you!

I have not seen the pool cleaner run but i have worked on a few of them and they appear to be well built with heavy duty gears inside. I think you will get many years of service out of your pool cleaner. Replacement parts are inexpensive

3 Month Update:
I am very happy so far. I have adjusted the weights and found for my vac the first weight @ 15" up from the vac with 2nd weight stacked on top ( so the weights are touching and end @ 20") is what is working.
I did remove the nubs from the wheels recently and when I adjust the pool settings i can get the cleaner to climb right up the walls- this is bad as it went above the water line and ingested air! so i changed the settings and reduced the vacuum by opening the skimmer more, problem solved.

I LEAVE IT IN THE POOL- The recommendations are not for this but I travel Mon-Fri and this is what happens ( i says sheepishly). No issues with the hoses or the vac getting stuck in corners, pool is very clean except the swim out and steps which to my knowledge no vacuum can do.
It is FAR SUPERIOR to the quattro x7 that it replaced- that was a 500 dollar mistake.

I love the quietness of it, even the quattro was a pulser and that was noticeable sitting on the patio at all times, although not bad, the pool cleaner is silent.

One issue/item of note- when the vac is running it is creating some restriction as i have a fair amount of tiny air bubbles coming from my jets. I have only seen this when the filter would not get serviced as was really dirty. ( this is rare but sometimes I am out two weeks or more so it doesn't get done)

So for now all is good except with the cooler weather I haven't swam in months ( the upside is I drink much less!!!) I will see what another 3 months is like for it but so far a no hesitations two thumbs up!

That's a well thought out update. Thank you for posting. :lol:

( the upside is I drink much less!!!)
Well, it sounds like a move to Miami might solve that issue but then there's that thing with your liver! :shock: :shock: I never really liked those white shoes, anyway.

I have had mine now for over 7 years without a problem so hopefully you have a similar experience. The only thing I have had to replace is the tires (on 3rd set) so I am very happy with the unit.

My two-wheel Pool Cleaner came with our in-ground pool when we bought our house in 2004. I don’t know how long the previous owner used The Pool Cleaner, but for ten years, we haven’t had any trouble with it until yesterday when it went immobile. We’re moving again and I didn’t want the expense of a new cleaner. I could not find a repair shop so decided there was nothing to lose by taking it apart myself. I’m 88 by the way.

Using a number 2 Phillips I removed the only three screws in sight. After moving the housing over the hose a foot, the interior was exposed. I could not find anything wrong; all the gears looked in good shape. However, the wheels didn’t turn. After some hesitation, I got an Allen wrench, about 3/16 in size, and removed the screw holding each wheel to its axel.

With everything now exposed, I noticed a blade had come loose from its slot. Why, I have no idea. I put it back in place. The wheels now turned easily and I found nothing that looked like trouble. I reattached the wheels and the housing, turned the pump on, and the Pool Cleaner worked fine.

If anyone has a problem with their Pool Cleaner, I suggest taking it apart. There is nothing complex inside. I don’t know what the problem was with my unit; perhaps some debris got caught in the blade. Still, considering that the previous owner used The Pool Cleaner, that unit could well be over twelve-fifteen years old, and it works fine. I highly recommend this cleaner.

I must say after 2 years I am more than satisfied with it. The only caveat I have is that it does climb the sides and sucks air sometimes-when this occurs it sounds like a demon trying to escape the pits of ****; or a zombie!

It freaks my neighbors (and cats!) out :). It is not a big deal, just have to open the skimmer suction a tad more. Being a two wheeled design when the suction is not set to higher suction value it tilts back, like a motorcycle doing a wheelie, and doesn't pick up well. This is the only snarky issue- one must set the suction pressure high for it to maintain direct contact and not "lean back" as it travels to and fro. I often wonder if a small wheelie bar, with proper amount of flex would greatly benefit this cleaner. Then agAin, pool is always spotless so I can not complain:)!

So after almost two years of ownership cost of maintenance is zero dollars and pool has never had to be manually vacuumed and is spotless! I leave the cleaner in mostly and wheels, hoses are all holding up well here in the Florida sun. I have no regrets and based on my experience I feel it works as well as zodiac products and way better than the X-7 piece of junk I paid a lot more for.

Nice update. I've owned mine for a little less than a year and I agree with all of your comments. It replaced an old Hayward Navigator that the previous home owns left. I did have one of the hoses break when I was lifting it out of the pool. Home Depot sells identical hose sections, so replacement or extensions are easily had.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've had mine for almost 4 years now and I have to agree with all your comments, except it's my dogs that start barking at it when it sucks in air. I've only had to do two things since I have had the cleaner; first, was to take it apart for a stuck gear caused by a pebble, took 10 minutes, and second, was to replace the tires, took two minutes.

I rate it 5 stars out of 5 for a suction side cleaner.

Well, I didn't realize it's been a few years since I originally offered my opinion and I would like at this time to update on my experience with this cleaner.
I have nothing but respect for it! It has needed nothing at all except 2 sweet of wheels (under 40$) in all the years I've had it. I have a very unforgiving gunite finish and the wheels last 2.5/3 years! I've also had to replace hoses as they started getting splits however I believe that is UV deteriorating them and not anything I would ding the vac on.

It has never gotten clogged and it just works! I replaced the original wheels with high bump wheels and it no longer climbs to water line so no worries there and I would assume that was my fault as I cut the original off to get it to "suck" better but like most things, I was wrong and just let it be! I believe it's been 6 years since I purchased this and barring hoses the only expenses have been$80 for two sets of wheels! And my floor is always clean when it runs and it basically is in pool on average of 6 days a week 24/7. This is a well made machine and I understand the company was sold to pentair? I hope they left it as! Never again will I buy a vac with a diaphragm that may last one season if lucky, this is the way to go!
Hands down a great suction side vac. I guess I'll wait another year or three for update our until it gives up the ghost!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.