Fiberglass vs. Concrete/Plaster Pool

Aug 29, 2012
San Diego
Hi Guys,

I tried several times to search on this as I'm sure it's been discussed, sorry if I missed it! We're planning to have a new pool installed and had been working with 3 builders on concrete setups until I started to read about the potential of salt corroding plaster faster and reducing the life of the plaster. Is this true? I'm really not keen on the idea of re-coating in less than 10 years at a cost of 7-10k. We don't have an issue with going fiberglass in general, just don't like the limited depths.

Would someone please break this down for me? Really appreciate any wisdom offered!

The bids are all coming in within 2k of each other for fiberglass or concrete and we live in So Cal.

Thanks!!!!!

I have never read about a SWG pool impacting the plaster (unless the salt was added too early ... best to wait at least 30 days after filling before adding the salt). The few posts we have seen about damage are to surrounding rock features (coping, deck, waterfall, etc) when soft porus stone (some flagstone, etc) is used and not sealed properly.

Safest bet is to not use soft stone near the pool ... but if you do, be very vigilent about sealing it.

Edit to add: Also realize that the longevity of any pool coating (plaster, aggregate, etc) is much more dependant on how well the owner keeps the water balanced (CH, pH, etc) than on the salt content. A "normal" pool may easily get to 1000ppm of salt after a few years as all sources of chlorine add salt. A SWG pool generally requires up to ~3500ppm of salt. The ocean is 35,000ppm of salt.

Personally I'd rather have a concrete pool over a fiberglass if the cost is the same or relatively close. A fiberglass pool will typically install quicker but I like the idea of solid concrete for the long haul. That being said either one properly installed will give you enjoyment for years.

What are you looking at for pool shape? Do you want it customized such as a beach entry or sunning deck area? Spa or waterfall feature? Underwater bench? Stairs?

What kind of finish do you want in the pool? How deep do you need it? How deep do you want it? Diving board?

These factors all weigh in. You can overwhelm yourself with the options.

How much time are you willing give to the pool on daily/weekly maintenance?

Great input fellas, thank you!

- classic, rectangular shape
- baja bench would be great
- diving board not an option in our city
- maintenance is no issue
- salt is almost a must, have girls with long hair that gets destroyed in standard pools
- sport pool design
- I'm 6'2" and am concerned about the depth, not sure what's ideal
- no spa
- will add water features later due to budget

Really do appreciate your responses, don't feel like I'm getting unbiased info from the builders.

The salt is not the problem with the kids hair. In a SWG pool, you need to maintain nearly the same chlorine level as a non-salt pool.

What is key is the relationship of the CYA and FC content in the water. In public pools and many indoor pools, they may not be allowed to have CYA in the water which acts as a buffer for the chlorine and lowers the active chlorine level. The chlorine in a pool with 0 CYA and 1ppm of FC is WAY more harsh than a pool with 30ppm of CYA and a FC > 10ppm ... see this chart hosted by Richard:
http://richardfalk.home.comcast.net/~ri ... l/HOCl.htm

If you follow the recommended chemical levels recommended on this site, the girls will not have a problem if you go salt or not. The SWG really just reduces the amount of work you have to do as far as lugging bottles of bleach. They are also not cheaper than just using bleach ... very similar long term costs. In fact, many (myself included) add salt to the water without a SWG (although I am planning on adding one eventually) to get the "softer" feeling.

Read through Pool School a few times and you will soon know more about the pool's chemistry than the pool builders and most of the employees at local pool stores.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.