Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New 15,000 SWG pool with white streaks in luna quartz

1. Back To Top    #1

New 15,000 SWG pool with white streaks in luna quartz

I have a newly install 15,000 SWG with dark blue luna quartz. (No salt on startup just tabs in skimmers) PB said brush 2-3 times a day while the acid was in. We did. 6 days after the pool fill, the PB did their start up routine. neutralize muriatic acid, clean filters and brush pool. Day 7 pool school. PB tested water and said needed 2 qts. muriatic acid. They installed the acid. Two days after we noticed white spots with streaks in shallow end. Brushing does nothing. Any ideas on what's up?
    HVB
    15,000 gal, IG, Cartridge
    Luna Quartz, 2 HP E Pump
    Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New 15,000 SWG pool with white streaks in luna quartz

It is likely where the acid settled and hope the PB added acid while the pump was on. I would suggest contacting the PB to state your concern and ask for it to be fixed. A no drain acid wash may help, but your PB should know best.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

PB did add the acid just outside of the skimmers and pump was on full. Poured and walked at the same time. I have a call into the PB. Thanks I will let you know what the responce is..
    HVB
    Luna Quartz, 2 HP E Pump
    Texas

4. Back To Top    #4

PB said they can do an in water acid wash with a brush that can dispence MA at the brush head under water.
    HVB
    Luna Quartz, 2 HP E Pump
    Texas

5. Back To Top    #5

Update:
    PB did a spot treatment with a peice of PVC conduit and direct pour and brush of MA on the white streak. It do disappear but it also shows that the rest of the surface will need to be done. So look like they will do a no drain acid wash. Jusy my luck, I just now have stable readings.
    HVB
    Luna Quartz, 2 HP E Pump
    Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

After the spot treat the PB wants to drain the pool, acid wash and then refill. Seems the spot treat works but with the amount of streaks they say the drain, wash and refill will provide a completely clean surface.

So my question is what are the risks involved with this procedure?
    HVB
    Luna Quartz, 2 HP E Pump
    Texas

7. Back To Top    #7

There are a few risks (i.e. High water table, etc), but if the PB is doing it they assume all the risk. Acid washing removes a little of the plaster life but probably not enough to be concerned with.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by HVB
    After the spot treat the PB wants to drain the pool, acid wash and then refill. Seems the spot treat works but with the amount of streaks they say the drain, wash and refill will provide a completely clean surface.

So my question is what are the risks involved with this procedure?

I've got some streaks in mine too. I'll be watching to see how you make out with yours. I've a hybrid Diamond Brite finish. Good luck!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

9. Back To Top    #9

Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net

10. Back To Top    #10

Drain and acid wash is scheduled for tomorrow. I will post the results.
    HVB
    Luna Quartz, 2 HP E Pump
    Texas

11. Back To Top    #11

imrode, thanks for the good info. Very good to know.
    HVB
    Luna Quartz, 2 HP E Pump
    Texas

12. Back To Top    #12

Well the PB had the crew come in and drain the pool and plug the drains. I asked them to bypass my heater if they were to use my pump. They simply pumped it out to the canal next door. I had to work so was not present during the wash. I did have may son in law there. Once they were finished I was told they would pump the acid wash water into a container on a truck and haul away. Nope, not what happened. They simply pumped it out into the back of my yard. They did not even neutralize it with baking soda prior to pumping out. Their response is "it is diluted". It won't hurt anything.

I was mad as could be. Most do not know that MA is simply Hydrochloric acid. We just finished landscaping and new sod.

It is filling with fresh water and I will report how it turned out.
    HVB
    Luna Quartz, 2 HP E Pump
    Texas

13. Back To Top    #13

I'd be throwing him some receipts for the sod you'll have to have replaced. Boy, the EPA wouldn't be too happy about that.

Sorry.. I'm sure some of the PB on here have experience with that.
    Helen

14. Back To Top    #14

Well I ran the pump full speed for 2 days. Cleaned the filters. And I must say it looks 10x better than before. 95% is gone. We will just wait to see how the sod turns out.
    HVB
    Luna Quartz, 2 HP E Pump
    Texas

15. Back To Top    #15

That's great!!!!!
    Helen